We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to the coast

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,292 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to the coast

My mother is 96 years old, lives in South London and needs a wheelchair to get around outside the house. We are hoping to take her to the coast for a day trip. Weather permitting mum would like to sit on a prom and watch the sea or failing that if the weather is poor sit in the car to do the same. We want to take her for lunch also. Where is the best place to go bearing in mind travel time? At the moment torn between Herne Bay or Hastings both of which take about anh hour and a quarter to reach. Any other ideas? Thanks

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to the coast

Herne Bay is easy to get to by car (dual-carriageway to within a mile of the seafront). The promenade is well kept and accessible - it is wide and has a good flat surface (i.e. no loose paving slabs, etc). The main section has lovely gardens separating the prom from the road so you are away from the traffic. Central Parade is traffic-calmed so beware of the bumps but this does keep the speed down (there is a 20mph limit). There are plenty of parking bays right along Central Parade though between Apr-Sep charges and a time limit apply along much of the length.

canterbury.gov.uk/assets/…hernebaytariff.pdf

If you need to hire a mobility scooter there is a Shopmobility scheme www.cshopmobility.org.uk/

Regarding lunch, what sort of thing are you looking for? There is everything from Le Petit Poisson (seafood-5th ranked restaurant in Kent, probably need to book) to KC's Coffee Lounge & Restaurant (classic 1950s-style nostalgic place (still known by its former name of Macari's), to Wetherspoons on the seafront, to a couple of tea rooms (Wades is just back from the prom on the High St).

There are regular brass band concerts in the bandstand during the summer season but I can't find any listings to confirm dates

I have not been to Hastings for many years so it would be unfair for me to make a comparison between the two.

Edited: 1:21 pm, June 18, 2012
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,301 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to the coast

Having been to both early last September while on a UK visit, have to say that Hastings seemed a bit of a dump. Herne Bay was nice enough even though it was raining most of the time. Nice and flat as well, so there won't be any problems getting around.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to the coast

While i take exception to calling Hastings a dump (it has more listed buildings per sq mile than any other UK seaside resort (from tudor to georgian to grand victoriana to art deco), a medieval old town full of timber framed houses and quirky vintage botiquey shops, award winning restaraunts, on old fishing harbour, dramatic coastal cliffs, caves, castle, furnicular railways, a year round programme of festivals and cultural events, more than 20 museums and galleries and some of the finest public parks in the country) i think that Herne Bay would be better for your needs as it is more accessable by road and has an easily accessible promenade (the main part of Hastings is not really a classic promenade - if you were considering Hastings the more traditional promenade bit would be at the St Leonards end). Bexhill-on-sea which is just next door to Hastings might be another option. It has a lovely wide promenade and is a quiet, laid back resort.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to the coast

Good post - Hastings is a proper seaside town, like Brighton thirty years ago - a bit rough around the edges in part, but all the better for it. But HB would be better in these circumstances. Can I also nominate for the 'longest coherent sentence of the year so far' award ? Thanks.

Mike

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,292 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to the coast

Thanks for all the info. Decided on Herne Bay! For lunch mum will prefer Fish and Chips so a "Fish and Chips Cafe" would be best.

Thanks again and will probably visit Hastings as it seems very interesting, when I have more time and without mum.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to the coast

Well I can only advise by location not by taste but there are a few places along the front you could try - the most popular is probably KC's which is the curved-fronted building on the corner of Central Parade and William St, this incorporates their next door "Makcari's Fish & Chips" venture under one roof (the place is still known throughout the town by its old name of "Macari's" though). With lots of old photos on the wall, it has that classic retro coffee-lounge look.

There are a few others such as Dean's Plaice by the clocktower and Neptune's in between where you can eat in, but these look a bit more "rough and ready".

On the High Street (by the tower block end) there is "Fish Inn Two" which has a large eat-in section at the back.

Kent
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to the coast

I used to live in Herne Bay until January this year.

Fish inn two would be unsuitable if your mum has mobility problems as the dining area is down steps. But that was my fave place to go. Mainly as I lived very close.

I would suggest macari's for easy access. I do miss it there. The bandstand has a lovely icecream palour I can recommend.

They were recently knocking down the gym on the pier, not sure of the progress on that At the moment.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to the coast

I forgot about the steps down to the eat-in section within Fish Inn Two. Cain's Amusement Arcade by the pier also has a little eat-in Fish & Chips cafe but I've never tried it.

The old sports centre pavilion on the pier has now been completely removed and the bare pier platform reopened over the Jubilee weekend. Nothing there, but it does have a wheelchair-friendly surface and you now get superb 360 degree views.

Get answers to your questions about Herne Bay
More Herne Bay Topics