We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible Reception by Harbor Master

Huntersville, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Terrible Reception by Harbor Master

We are a US sailboat cruising the southern coast of England and wanted to stop here for lunch and to visit the town. We were dismayed by all the moorings because we usually anchor. After finding an anchorage we dinghied into shore and before we could get tied up at the dinghy dock the Harbor master came roaring up yelling about our speed We dropped speed at the sign that said 4 kts but he told us we were supposed to slow to 6 kts at the prior sign.which we could never find. He then proceeded to gruffly tell us that the charge for a 4 hr dinghy stay was £7. ($11). Way more than a lunch entree. We left without spending a dime in this unfriendly port. Would NEVER return.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Terrible Reception by Harbor Master

"...no dinghy fee there" ??????

Surely a dinghy is a vessel up to 6m long so according to Weymouth Harbour website it costs £5.00 for 4 hours (See extract below)

"Harbour Dues and Charges 2012/13

All prices are per day or part there of unless stated and include VAT where chargeable.

Vessel Type Mooring Apr - Oct Nov - Mar

Vessels up to 6m (LOA) "Moor-n-shop" Up to 4 hours £5.00 £5.00

Vessels 6 - 12m (LOA) "Moor-n-shop" Up to 4 hours £8.00 £8.00

Vessels over 12m (LOA) "Moor-n-shop" Up to 4 hours £11.00 £11.00"

Edited: 2:24 pm, August 22, 2012
Huntersville, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Terrible Reception by Harbor Master

Ya'll just don't get it. We were more upset by how the HM handled himself. He was rude beyond all I have ever encountered. He had a boulder on his shoulder and flaunted his authority after racing across the harbour going much more than 4 kts and nearly ramming into us. That behaviour is what made the fees so outrageous. BTW, we have not had to pay fees anywhere else for the "public town dinghy dock". We were in Dartmouth for over a week and no mention or signage about the dinghy fees. We have found friendly and helpful HM in Falmouth, Plymouth, Dartmouth, Weymouth, Cowes and Beaulieu. We are happy to pay where required, but we don't stay where people are rude.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Terrible Reception by Harbor Master

I think your complaint may have been received better if your comments about the Harbour Master had been part of a report on your sailing trip around England which mentioned both your good and bad experiences. As it is your first post on the forums is a complaint about a particular person, with a headline aimed at ramming the message home. People are likely to see that as just another rant from a one-off poster. You have written four positive reviews, so I know you are not all negative, but people reading your first post here could get that impression.

Worcester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Terrible Reception by Harbor Master

Hi, I can only say I think it sounded very rude of the harbour master to have shouted like a school teacher, surely had he approached this man calmly and politely he would not have all these people having a go

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Terrible Reception by Harbor Master

I know it can be quiet here but why dig up a post that is nearly 2 years old?

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Terrible Reception by Harbor Master

joined in 2012 to raise this post as a first poster

Get answers to your questions about Yarmouth