We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowfall

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Snowfall

Hi,

looking at webcam there seems to be only a thin covering of snow. Is this normal for mid February?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowfall

No, not normal at all.

Unfortunately the weather this winter has resulted in pressure systems that made the clouds that were supposed to come to Norway and release snow stopped over the UK and released their load as rain.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowfall

The Longyearbyen locals explained to me that this is in fact quite normal. It is a very windswept place and snow if often quite literally gone by the wind.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowfall

There is never much snow on the ground but this year it's even less than usual.

Last year around this time the meterological station (at the airport) measured a snow depth of 26cm, while yesterday it was measured at 4cm.

It's been less precipitation than normal in addition to a higher temperature than normal. The norm for January is -15.3°C and this year the average was -4.1°C - varying from -17.2°C (8th Jan) up to +4.1°C (23rd Jan).

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowfall

Thanks for your prompt replies though slightly conflicting.

It is my aim to get to LYB sometime in the not too distant future (2015) so have been checking webcam quite frequently over past year and there always seemed to be plenty of snow and very cold temps in Feb and March so I was rather surprised by how little seemed to be on ground at the moment.

Wish weather systems could get back to normal as we are getting drowned here in the UK!

Presumably there is more in interior for snowmobile/dog sled tours?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowfall

Anyway, these are the statistics for LYR for the last 12 months.

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Will try and get in contact with one or two of our friends up there for more exact info. They did say that last March was really unpleasant with very low temperatures and strong winds. Some days it was hardly possible to be outside.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snowfall

Just talked to my friend and telecom field engineer Laurits. Says there is no need to concern regarding snow. As soon as you get above Longyearbyen and up onto the hillsides to the east and towards the glacier there is plenty. He had talked to some yesterday that had been dog sledding. Also no problem doing snowmobiles.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snowfall

Thanks again for your prompt and reassuring response.

I also noted last years extremes and with the current extremely wet weather we are experiencing one never knows what to expect anywhere these days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snowfall

No the weather is not at all normal for Svalbard.. but saying that March and April is proper snowmobiling season there. Svalbard Skimarathon is usually at the end of April which gives an indication of when the best snow conditions are..

There are many stories in Svalbardposten this past week about fantastic conditions for dog sledding; just check their website..

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snowfall

Hello, I just contacted a tour company about arranging a snowmobiling trip to Templefjorden (and visit the ice schooner), but was warned that the ice may be too thin this year (I intend to visit in early April). Has anyone heard anything about the normal winter activities (like snowmobiling) being impossible due to lack of ice? Thanks.

10. Re: Snowfall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, March 07, 2015