We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping(Accomodation) in Longyearbyen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Longyearbyen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Camping(Accomodation) in Longyearbyen

Dear all,

I have finally booked an expedition end of July with Basecamp-Spitsbergen company. I will be arriving 2 days earlier to the start of this expedition and looking for accomodation possibilities. I looked up the "Spitzbergen guesthouse" but it seems booked for the dates I need. The only other cheaper option I have is camping, near the airport. In this regard, could some one please help me answer the following questions:

1. Is camping an option for normal individuals who had no prior camping experience in such climates ?

2. Last year I was in Lofoten, with an idea to do Wild camping. However, the weather was very very rough and we ended up taking hotels/rorbu's which were pretty expensive, because of the last minute booking. Since Longyearbyen has very limited supply of Hotel rooms, I was wondering what happens if we decide for camping and the weather gets so bad that we could not manage to camp outside ? Any suggestions/experiences ?

3. If we decide to camp, and say the wind gets stormy, is there a temporary place where we could manage a night or so ? May be in the administrative part of the camping ground, just to wade off the very rough part of the weather ?

4. Finally, after our expedition is complete, and reaching Longyearbyen, our flight to Oslo is on the next day at 04:10. This is basically too early. So can we spend the short night in the airport itself, thereby saving the cost of a hotel room.

Sorry for the very long questions. All your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Prakash

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,861 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping(Accomodation) in Longyearbyen

Have you checked availability and prices for Mary-Ann's Polarrigg? www.polarriggen.com/public.aspx…

I've stayed there a few years back. It is basic accommodation, but still good and the price was OK and cheaper than the hotel.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,972 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping(Accomodation) in Longyearbyen

Check also up the accommodation in Nybyen. Normally they have some rooms available...

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping(Accomodation) in Longyearbyen

I wouldn't recommend wild camping around Longyearbyen without a professional guide and proper protection. Polar bears are out and about and a tent isn't much protection if they smell any food you have.

There is a campsite next to the airport - http://www.longyearbyen-camping.com

If it get's so bad that you can't be in the tent there'll be a scramble for any remainging rooms, but I wouldn't worry to much as a solution would be found.

AFAIK the airport has very limited openting hours outside arrivals/departures so spending the night hours there wouldn't be possible. You can contact them about the possibility to store luggage for a few hours - http://www.avinor.no/en/airport/svalbard/aboutus/70_Airport+management

You could always spend the final few hours before heading to the airport in one of Longyearbyens pubs (Karls-Berger Pub is open until 2am every day) until the airport coach departs (it departs from Nybyen at 2.30am).

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping(Accomodation) in Longyearbyen

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.

I would have loved camping (not wild-camping) at the designated camping ground, near the airport. It is not only to save some money but that way I feel much closer to the nature, which is why I am making this whole trip in the first place. The website of the camping ground claims, there should normally be no *lasting* rain. But wind is the worst. Does anyone had any camping experience especially at this location ?

There seems to be some availability at Mary-Ann's. I will call them for a booking .

Thank you,

Prakash

Hildesheim...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping(Accomodation) in Longyearbyen

Longyearbyen Camping is a very good choice, at least in summer season. Late arrivels and early departures are not a problem, because you have 5 min walking distance. The service building offers a room to prepare food, eat and rest, in respect to the other guests. Walking to the city takes 45min, you will enjoy it.

Longyearbyen, Norway
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping(Accomodation) in Longyearbyen

You should check out www.visitsvalbard.com for availability of accomodations.

7. Re: Camping(Accomodation) in Longyearbyen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 30, 2015