We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
New Zealand
Level Contributor
137 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good hiking trip in Svalbard at the end of March - either a half day or a full day.

We're both young and active so happy for a challenge. Keen to see the glaciers and natures and lots of the panoramic landscapes.

Thanks,

Katie

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,123 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

Firstly, for safety reasons you cannot go hiking on your own in Svalbard. Secondly, it would not be possible to hike in the middle of winter except for on the cleared roads around the settlement in Longyearbyen.

I suggest you approach one of the tour operators for a dog sledding excursion or a snowmobile trip.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,442 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

I don't you can just hike on your own at Svalbard, you need protection from polar bears.

Note that average temperature in March is minus 15 C, can drop to -20 or -30 C.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

I wasn't planning on hiking on my own, I wanted to book with a tour operator. I was just looking for a suggestion on a good guided tour. So is it not possible to go on a guided hike at the end of March at all?

I already have a dog sleigh trip book. I was looking for another excursion whilst I was there.

Thanks

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,123 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

There will be too much snow to go hiking. Hiking is a summer activity only in these parts.

5. Re: Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:43 am, February 24, 2014
Oslo
Level Contributor
14,442 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

I guess even for skiing March is early season, high season for skiing perhaps April-May.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

So are dog sleighs and snowmobiles the only main options for excursions?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,123 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

Some are offering glacier hikes.

http://www.svalbard.net/en/winter/hiking

Edited: 8:49 am, February 25, 2014
New Zealand
Level Contributor
137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

There are a few options here which look good, thank you for your help :) I look forward to exploring as much of Svalbard as possible, even if it is winter. Hopefully it will just add to the adventure.

10. Re: Need a recommendation for a hiking trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 27, 2015