We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half a day in Longyearbyen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
London, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Half a day in Longyearbyen

I'm going on a cruise with the m/v explorer and flight times are such that I'll land the night before it leaves. This gives me until 3pm on a friday and then after disembarkation from about 10am until the next morning to occupy myself in Longyearbyen.

I've had a quick browse around at things to do and a couple of options caught my eye.

1) Hiking out to find fossils - anyone done this? worth it?

2) going to find the polar bear sign at the edge of town - (I know, I know) where exactly is it and how far a walk is it? Still safe if unarmed?

3) Is there anywhere within easy and safe walking distance to see the glacier etc

4) the minibus tour taxi that takes you around - looks a bit meh but willing to be convinced!

Is there anything else I'm missing that I can realistically achieve? I'm not interested in a zodiac trip anywhere as I'm sure I'll have my fill of those when on the cruise.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half a day in Longyearbyen

The museum and art gallery are worth a visit. We spent a similar time in Longyearbyen, you can walk up to the old mine and then around to the church. A trip up the main street and a coffee stop in the shopping mall is a must. Just take in the wonderful scenery and remoteness of this place. Remember it could be fairly cold.

I really don't know about venturing too far out of town, there are warnings about carrying a gun, possibly the glacier is too far. We saw several people with guns. Just chill as I am sure your cruise will be pretty tiring. We came back quite tired as we were on the go all the time. Getting ready for trips, dressing undressing and eating!

2. Re: Half a day in Longyearbyen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:40 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Svalbard