We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Svalbard by sea or by land?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
U.S.
3 posts
Save Topic
Svalbard by sea or by land?

My hubsand and I are going to Svalbard next month and are trying to decide between the Spitzbergen Adventure Cruise and staying in Longyearbyen and doing day expeditions, possibly to include the three day trip to Isfjord Radio. We are active people in our early 30s and are worried that the cruise will involve too much time on a boat and too little time exploring. But I understand that the cruise gives you an opportunity to see things that you can't get to by land. Is the scenery from the cruise really special and worth it?

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,055 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Svalbard by sea or by land?

I don't know these specific alternatives, but keep in mind that going out of the town on your own is quite demanding in Svalbard. The polar bear is not a pet.

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
943 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Svalbard by sea or by land?

do not try to wander on your own !

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Svalbard by sea or by land?

I went to Svalbard last summer. I was only there for 3 days and took two different day trips from Longyearben. The adventure cruises involve significant time cruising to the landing sites, but you will get to see things that day trips just don't allow. I took 2 day trips, one on the MS Polar Girl and one on a Zodiac type boat and they were both amazing, but if you want to see Polar Bears and Walrus you will have to go on a multi-day adventure cruise. If you have the time and the money, you should take the adventure cruise. Think about this...do you really want to go to one of the most remote, unique places on the planet and not see the really fascinating stuff? The cruises are ridiculously expensive but worth it if it is in your budget. Also, the supermarket in Longyearben is duty-free and government subsidized, so it is a good place to stock up on provisions. A burger and a beer will cost you $35.00, so take advantage of the market if you can.

Sweden
Level Contributor
6 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Svalbard by sea or by land?

Hi!

The Isfjord radio trip is very nice, and I really enjoyed my trip on a boat for the day. It is a chance to see things and also from a perspective you don´t normally see on land. But anymore time than that at sea is probably a waste of time. There are fun things to see and do on shore as well.

It is cold being outside on the boat, so dress WARM. I was adviced to bring all my warm clothes and I am very glad I did!

5. Re: Svalbard by sea or by land?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, October 05, 2009