We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norge Airship mast - Ny-Alesund

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Dorset
5 posts
Save Topic
Norge Airship mast - Ny-Alesund

I'm visiting Ny-Alesund next June, and I'd like to walk to the old Norge Airship Mooring Mast. However, it's outside the accessible area of the town, and within the area marked as "out of bounds" due to fragile tundra. Is there a path or route that is allowed for walking to visit this spot ?

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
944 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norge Airship mast - Ny-Alesund

Don't know where you found this info, have you tried this link, and contacted authorities direct ?

http://www.sysselmannen.svalbard.no/eng/

Dorset
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Norge Airship mast - Ny-Alesund

Hello - As I have family connections with a famous Arctic explorer (Not Amundsen, but Captain Scott), I thought it would be nice to have my picture taken next to the mast, but looking at the map, it seems to be outside of the permitted access area.

However, I'll contact the link you sent me - Thanks for that.

Richard

Dorset
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Norge Airship mast - Ny-Alesund

Additional - I Emailed that address you suggested, no answer has been forthcoming !

Perhaps another member can help with my original question ?

Thanks -

Richard

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,962 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norge Airship mast - Ny-Alesund

The address given to you above is for the web site of Sysselmannen.

On their pages you will find a label for contacting the staff, and following this you find a list of the actual persons, their areas of management - and among those a person with these tasks:

Environmental Adviser

Management of outdoor recreation, tourism and other traffic in wilderness areas, management of protected areas, assistance to veterinary services, registration and control of import and export of domestic animals.

His email address is given below the description. They have coded their email addresses on the site, replacing @ with an "at" - probably to avoid spam.

Hope this helps.

Dorset
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Norge Airship mast - Ny-Alesund

Thanks, I've just sent a message to your suggested contact.

Richard

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Norge Airship mast - Ny-Alesund

I have not been in Svalbard since July 1999. It was then possible to walk right up to the mast, and I was also able to photograph the plaque commemorating the 1926 flight. I recollect keeping to a specific route to walk there.

Even if access turns out to be restricted these days, the mast is a dominant landmark and I’m sure you would find a suitable spot to be photographed with the mast clearly seen behind you.

Dorset
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Norge Airship mast - Ny-Alesund

For the information of anyone else who's interested in visitng the mast, I got this reply from King's Bay, AS. -

Hello Mr. Barton

We received your e-mail from the Governor of Svalbard since Kings Bay AS is the owner of Ny-Alesund.

It is possible to visit what we call the Amundsen Airship mast. Nobile used it some year after Amundsen. The mast is outside the settlement but a track is leading there. You need to carry a loaded rifle to walk outside the settlement because of the polar bear danger. Please have this in mind when visiting Ny-Alesund.

With best regards

Bodil Paulsen

Adviser

Kings Bay AS

8. Re: Norge Airship mast - Ny-Alesund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 20, 2009