We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chersonisis

Which Hersonissos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
239 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Chersonisis

My son is planning a few days in Crete with his girlfriend. (first time to Crete)

They were thinking about a resort outside of Chersonisis. They won't have a car.

Any of you who are very familiar with Crete, is there a preferable area to stay or visit?

I know Crete is large, and we're not familiar with it.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chersonisis

trip report to hersonisos by steve ,destination expert for crete

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k68…

part 2

part 3 with photos at the end

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,812 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chersonisis

Hi there

it really depends on what they want from their holiday - Hersonissos is a large tourist resort on the north east coast of Crete, and second only to Malia for OTT nightlifte. So in the height of the season is definitely "party capital" type resort, which is full of English & Irish pubs and fast food takeaway, and lots of All inclusive hotels surrounding the resort. It really doesn't have much of a Greek feel to the place either.

explorecrete.com/hersonissos/hersonissos.html

However the three villages that are located outside of Hersonissos are totally different, pretty little squares with some good traditional tavernas.......these are Koutouloufari, Piskopiano and Old Hersonissos

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chersonisis

From what we saw on our recent holiday, the British/Irish theme has waned. There are lots of Dutch tourists there, and lots of Russians too, or at least people who sound Russian to my non-trained ear.

If you do your homework there are some great tavernas around as well - we had some really good meals, but we did have a good look at TA reviews before we went. So although there is a McD's and a Subway, there aren't any pie or chip shops! There are quite a few gyros places, including one which has gone down into our 'favourites', going by the unlikely name of Yummies! But gyros fast food is of course a staple of many Greek towns.

As I said in my trip report, I think Hersonissos has grown-up over the years, and now is just as much a town as a resort. But there is no doubt that it's not a place for anyone looking for peace and quiet.

Again at the risk (but not intention) of sounding provocative, we found that the 3 villages a bit twee, and we had the worst meal of our holiday in Koutouloufari.

Personally I feel that the area of Anissaras, where OP's son was looking, has very little going on outside the confines of the large hotels; I walked along a reasonably decent beach there, and there was literally no-one on it at all, yet all the hotel pools were full. Also there is the sad evidence of quite a few local shops having closed down.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,812 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chersonisis

Yes Steve we went to the beach of Anissaras a couple of years ago, had lunch in one of the tavernas, like you mentioned every where seemed to be empty.....although there were lots of people around but everyone seemed to be walking past rather than coming in for a drink or a meal......and of course they all had the " dreaded wrist bands" on.......and as the Russians do tend to favour the AI hotels its no wonder they are staying around this area.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chersonisis

I must say in defence of the Esperos Koutoulafari I had one of the best mousakas I have had for a few years there and the greek plate for two is excellent but must admit to some below average meals as well.

Edited: 4:48 pm, September 10, 2013
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chersonisis

Maybe we went on an off night then; my wife's swordfish looked lovely with all sorts of large pieces of vegetables on it - but they were frozen in the middle, and my bekri meze was too salty for my taste. A shame, but not a patch on several meals we had in Hersonissos town.

sunderland
Level Contributor
77 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chersonisis

im really worried about staying in hersonissos but does it quieten down in september or wild until it closes down for the season,im really hoping ive not booked to stay in a resort thats too lively for me and il not enjoy staying there for the noise and drunks, please reassure me

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chersonisis

I wouldn't say Hersonissos was wild in August, so I guess it's not in September either. It is busy, but there is no outlandish behaviour or anything like that at all. So don't worry.

9. Re: Chersonisis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 16, 2014