We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day trip to elafonissi beach

Medias, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1 day trip to elafonissi beach

Hey,

I would be grateful if somenone, who knows crete well, could tell me how long is a trip from Anissaras to Elafonissi beach (km and time) as we are willing to sacrifice 1 day only for going to this beautiful paradise. Which way is the most interesting and worth taking??

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day trip to elafonissi beach

Hi there

It's a long drive ( I assume you'll be driving?), Anissaras - Iraklion 22 kms, Iraklion - Rethymno 80 kms, Rethymno - Chania 60 kms, Chania - Kastelli 40 kms and Kastelli - Elafonissi 36 kms so you're looking at a distance of almost 250 kms. OK, the entire stretch from Anissaras to Kastelli is on good roads, but once at Kastelli, it's one lane each way roads ( and some narrow secondary roads) to Elafonissi. You'd be looking at a minimum of 4 hours and probably closer to 4.5 hours.

Elafonissi is a lovely spot, no denying it but at the end of it, it's just a beach and there are some beautiful beaches that are far, far closer to Anissaras such as Voulisma Beach, at Istro, south of Agios Nikolaos, this would be a maximum one hour drive.

Medias, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day trip to elafonissi beach

Thank you very much for your advice! Istro is a really nice beach, I'm sure there are many other beautiful places to visit, and much closer.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day trip to elafonissi beach

Hi again

Anissaras is a good place to base yourself and it is close to some of the top sights in Crete. It's your choice of course but I wouldn't drive all the way to Elafonissi when there is so much to see on your doorstep.

Hersonissos, Greece
Level Contributor
254 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day trip to elafonissi beach

More and more travellers to Crete are discovering what a HUGE island it really is.....Elafonisis is worth a visit as is Balos but do see Crete effectively you need to do a 'two centre' holiday and spend time at both ends of the island....And the only way you are going to do this is travel independently and book direct with hotels yourself.....

!!!!

Medias, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day trip to elafonissi beach

I'm not sure if we 're giving up this looong trip, my friends are really crazy about doing this. We are 6 couples 25-30 and we love to travel a lot...we'll see. Anyway, could you tell me more about the places nearby Anissaras worth visiting and some good clubs and restaurants in Hersonissos as in the evening there is nothing to do at the hotel we would like to go and have some fun.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,963 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day trip to elafonissi beach

It's a particularly crazy idea, much too far to drive in a day. You"d be spending the entire day in the car, with little time to enjoy the beach which as GB says, is just a beach. A nice beach, but hardly worth such a journey.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day trip to elafonissi beach

Hi again

There's loads to do and see within a 15- 70 min drive from Anissaras, any half decent guide book will list all the sights worth seeing. It's your call of course regarding the ride to Elafonissi but you'll spend a minimum of 8 hours in a car, you'll spend an awful lot of money on fuel for the car, and for the time it takes, the mileage you rack up and the cost, you could see just about everything around Anissaras

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day trip to elafonissi beach

Although many call it "just a beach", if you love wonderful beaches like me you will not regret a trip to Elafonissi. Not many places have this "heaven on earth" feeling, especially if you walk a little further to where not so many people sit, you will just love it and make photos you will definitely frame afterwards:)

http://www.xania.eu/en/παραλιες-χανια/86-ελαφονησι.html

If you start early enough in the morning you can totally make it, otherwise why not overnight in Chania and see also this beautiful town, the most beautiful of Crete IMO. If you decide to do it in one day, it's better to have more than 1 drivers available to drive cause it might be too much for 1 person to drive the whole way there and back.

Edited: 3:53 am, August 31, 2012
Medias, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day trip to elafonissi beach

Right, for some it's "just a beach" and for others it is much more than that. It depends on our mood. All of you gave me very good advice!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day trip to elafonissi beach

Hello sbgath

I don't think for one moment that alabastron or myself are speaking badly about Elafonissi. If tweeterson was staying somewhere closer to it, I'm sure we would both say that it is well worth a visit. It's the fact that it would involve at least an 8 hour car trip that has made us reply in the way that we have. Elafonissi is beautiful, I agree with you, but it's a long, long way to go in one day.