We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should i stay in crete?

Which Hersonissos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where should i stay in crete?

me and my boyfriend are looking to come on holiday here late june we are 21/22 and are looking for a nice relaxing beach break. we are prefably looking for somewhere to stay that isn't full of english bars/pubs/clubs. we would prefer something more cultural and maybe a bit quiter not too quiet though as we do like eating and drinking in nice places with atomsphere. Could anyone suggest anywhere, it would be a great help!

thanks

martha

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should i stay in crete?

I can strongly recommend Marni Village in Koutouloufari, a relaxing place with lots of great restaurants and not to far from other livelier resorts if you want a change.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should i stay in crete?

With regards to beaches:

It is a mile from the nearest beaches, which is a pleasurable walk downhill and there are better beaches a short drive away

Edited: 7:41 am, April 21, 2012
Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should i stay in crete?

Koutouloufari is a lovely traditional greek village which would fit your requirements except one very important one - it is inland in the hillside overlooking Hersonissos.

We like Koutouloufari but, as you are wanting a beach break, then it probably would not be the best choice for you.

Have a look at Anissaras, just to the west of Hersonissos, as this has a great beach and is very quiet - maybe just a little too quiet for you though. Also, have a look at Sissi which is located to the east of Malia which is a relaxing traditional greek village. It has a beach but not as good as the one at Anissaras though. but may suit as an overall package than Anissaras.

So, if it is mainly the beach you want, then Anissaras is top of the list. But if the choices of bars, restaurants & tavernas are more important, then Sissi may be a better option.

Hope this helps and have fun planning your holiday.

Edited: 7:55 am, April 21, 2012
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,590 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should i stay in crete?

Hi

If you fancy staying in a town, Rethymnon and Agios Nikolaos could also be good choices. Rethymnon has a beach stretching for miles from the town centre eastwards. Ag Nik has the 'lake' in the centre as a focal point, the beaches are not as good as Rethymnon, but there are several within a couple of km from the town centre.

Both are lovely places where tourism co-exists with everyday business in a way you don't see in most other resorts.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should i stay in crete?

Hi there

Just to ad to npjs advice, there is a flat, paved beachfront pathway that links Anissaras to it's neighbouring coastal village of Analipsi, where you will find a larger selection of bars and restaurants. The beach runs all the way between these two villages past some large hotels ( not high rise places though). It's a pleasant, 20 minute stroll.

Anissaras is where we usually stay on Crete, there are 5 or 6 decent restaurants and maybe 3-4 bars, so it is relaxed and laid back, albeit there are usually plenty of people around.

Here's the general area...

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 10:40 am, April 21, 2012
6. Re: Where should i stay in crete?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:41 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hersonissos