We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hersonissos or Stalis?

sussex,
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hersonissos or Stalis?

We want lively resort, sandy beach and snorkelling. Which is best?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
468 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hersonissos or Stalis?

Oh no, we're going to Hersonissos in 4 weeks, I knew it didn't have the prettiest beaches and was quite lively at night but I didn't think it was that bad, is it really as tacky as the Blackpool seafront?! Thankfully staying at the Papadakis Villas halfway between villages of Piskipiano/Koutoloufari and downhill is Hersonissos as far as im aware, might just avoid that area altogether. Sounds like we'll be spending most of our time at Stalis beach then, hopefully not to much of a trek each morning.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hersonissos or Stalis?

Hi Michelle

Don't forget the great beach at Anissaras, just take a taxi from the rank at the western end of Hersonissos' main drag, it's only 3 kms and the driver will come back for you if you agree a time.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hersonissos or Stalis?

Hi Michelle

Don't be worried - thousands of people go to Hersonnisos every year. The main road through the town is very touristy, complete with lots of amusement arcades etc., but the sea front is quite nice, with a small chapel at one end and tavernas and bars overlooking the sea. You are in one of the small villages above, and you will find that if you walk down to the eastern side of Hersonnisos, from star beach onwards, there are some deeper beaches, though they are mainly coves separated by rocky outcrops.

If you have access, check it out on Google earth, so you can get an idea of where things are.

I don't think Stalis is walkable on a regular basis - it's about 5 km from Koutouloufari.

Edited: 5:56 am, April 10, 2012
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hersonissos or Stalis?

Michelle, here are some photos of Hersonissos taken in 2010.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157624948245648

It would never be my choice to stay but as Steve says, once away from the main drag, it's OK especially at the western end by the harbour where most of these were taken

15. Re: Hersonissos or Stalis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:09 pm, July 22, 2017
Glasgow
Level Contributor
468 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hersonissos or Stalis?

Thanks Steve, I just really don't want to arrive and be disappointed, and thanks for the pics GB they've put my mind at rest, I was expecting Magaluf-esque style bar after bar but it doesn't look too bad. That said we will probably spend most nights in Piskipiano or Koutoloufari where it seems a bit nicer to eat and drink for a more 'authentic' Crete feel! Does anyone know anything about Glaros Beach? I google mapped it and it seems to be within walking distance from our Villas and as we'll be going to the beach every morning I don't want to have to go too far! Thanks again!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hersonissos or Stalis?

Hi again

I know there's certainly a Glaros Beach Hotel so presumably, it sits on a small cove or beach within the general area of central Hersonissos. No idea what the beach there is like Michelle I'm afraid but looking at a Google map, it does seem to be straight down the lane from halfway between Koutouloufari and Piskopiano to Hersonissos' main drag, then a bit of a stroll through some side streets to the road it's on, Bamboulinas.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
468 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hersonissos or Stalis?

Thanks for all your help, I'm a big beach lover and really hope we find one or two nice ones within easy reach when we're there. I will definitely post a review when I get back, fingers crossed for good weather :)

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hersonissos or Stalis?

Hi Michelle

As mentioned above Annissaras beach is really nice, we have stayed there twice in recent years. IMO Hersonnisos is not so bad; I must admit I was a bit shocked when I returned there a few years back after not going there for 20 years and my beautiful little village had turned into a tourist paradise but to me it still has charm.

We never go there at night but in the morning sometimes we would go to Hersonnissos by bus or taxi for shopping and a wander round. There are some nice little shops for those essential souvenirs for folks back home and my teenage kids love it. There are a few really nice jewellery shops as well which have some nice stuff. After shopping we stop for some breakfast ( maybe fresh orange and pancakes) on the seafront where there are lovely views. There are still some parts which are really nice such as the old harbour which you may have seen in the photos above.

Of course Old Hersonnisos, Piskopiano and Koutouloufari are lovely so I think you have the best of both worlds. Also you have good access to Heraklion for a day trip, Aghios Nikolaos, Elounda and Spinalonga which are well worth visiting from there.

Have a good time.

20. Re: Hersonissos or Stalis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, June 01, 2013