We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

Surat, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

I plan to visit these 3 places in June this year along with my family (wife and kid). I will be starting from Kolkata. Please let me know the best way to plan out these 3 destinations and what should be the optimum duration for this complete visit ?

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
910 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

Well Guwahati & Shillong are close by , so I figure 5-7 days should be good for both depending on your interest. As for Agartala you will need to find out from Tripura forum.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,610 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

skb_haz

If you have any preference for Agartala, its okay. Otherwise do Shillong, Guwahati and Arunachal in this itinerary. As follows :

DAY1 - Arr. Guwahati, afternoon- Kamakhya Temple and River Cruise on Brahmaputra.

DAY2 - Guwahati Airport–Shillong-140 kms/4.5hrs drive. Shillong local s/s

DAY3 - Shillong - After breakfast excursion to Cherrapunjee (60 kms/2 hrs). Enroute visit Shillong Peak, elephant Falls. Evening visit the local markets & Ward’s lake. Overnight in Shillong.

DAY4 - After breakfast drive to Tezpur / Bhalukpong (325 kms/9hrs)

DAY5 - Tezpur / Bhalukpong–Dirang After breakfast drive to Dirang (175 kms/6 hrs drive).

DAY6 - After breakfast drive to Tawang, bypassing Sella pass (13,700 ft.) (175 kms/7 hrs).

DAY7 - Tawang Full day visit including Tawang Monastery, Penga Ten Tso (Ptiso) Lake, craft centre and local market. Late Lunch at Hotel. Overnight in Tawang.

DAY8 - After breakfast drive to Bomdila (195 Kms/7 hrs).

DAY9 - After breakfast drive to Guwahati (340 Kms/9 hrs).

Edited: 1:54 am, February 10, 2014
Surat, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

Thank you so much Ashis da for your valuable inputs. However, please let me know will it be advisable to make the trip in June (considering that monsoon is generally active during this period). Therefore should the journey be covered in the month of May itself ? Another point - you have not included Kaziranga National Park in the travel itinerary. Any specific reasons, Sir ?

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,610 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

Kaziranga will be closed by mid May, hence not included. May would be better time for this trip. Monsoon will reach this region in early June.

Edited: 3:36 am, February 10, 2014
Surat, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

Thank you so much karikor1 and Mr Ashish Roy for your prompt responses.

Rgds / Sudeep

Hyderabad
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

Hi,

We are three women, hoping to visit Meghalaya in mid August, during monsoon. It seems Cherrapunji and other waterfalls are beautiful at that time, but are there any access issues due to rains? Which district should we focus on? Will it be feasible to catch one of the caves or do these get closed due to rainwater?

And if we have 4 days in hand, from Guwahati, which should be our prime destination points?

Please also advise on the facilities available enroute like cafes or eateries between various places. Any homestays advised?

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
910 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

Hello Ritu,

You should not be facing any access problems with respect to rains. Landslides are less frequent here than compared to places like Sikkim and other Himalayan retreats.

With four days in hand, I guess you focus only in the East Khasi Hills DIstrict ( Shillong, Sohra, Mawphlang & Mawlynnong).

I would definitely be glad to help you out with other details, however since you have plenty of time, let us take this planning step by step and first freeze on the proposed itinerary. Then we will get to the minor details after that.

As for caving, I guess doing the bigger ones will be of a problem since they will be not less than 2-3 km long. However the smaller cave in Mawsmai will not cause you much difficulties and hence is doable.

I guess this is good enough for a start. Hopefully we will come up with a smashing plan before the start of your trip.

Regards,

Karikor

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
910 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

Rtu,

Check this video out:

www.youtube.com/watch…

9. Re: Visit to Agartala, Shillong and Guwahati

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 26, 2015