We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliability of flights to Shillong / Umroi airport

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Reliability of flights to Shillong / Umroi airport

Hello,

I am travelling to Shillong for the first time in mid-November, from Kolkata, and am really looking forward to it. I was planning to fly to Shillong airport / Umroi airport, but then I got some advice that this airport is not reliable, and I saw that on Shillong's wikitravel page ( http://wikitravel.org/en/Shillong ) it says

"However, flights to Umroi are only from Calcutta and generally are cancelled at the last minute due to inclement weather. Guwahati airport which is 4&1/2 to 5 hours from shillong is a preferable option."

Is this advice accurate; should I fly to Guwahati instead? It seems much further away from Shillong, and I will be tired from travelling at this point so do not wish to do any sightseeing on the way from the airport. But I don't want a cancelled flight either.

Many thanks for any advice!

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,592 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reliability of flights to Shillong / Umroi airport

I never faced such cancellation of flight. Two dis-advantages I noticed, taxis not readily available in Shillong airport and the aircrafts are very cramped (48 seater) with too much of noise comes from the engine.

Edited: 5:51 am, September 19, 2013
Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reliability of flights to Shillong / Umroi airport

You should not be having any weather problems by mid November.

You can get a MTC bus for 100 rupees upto the MTC Station , Police Bazaar. Or you can catch taxis. Else just ask your hotel to arrange pick up. The airport is 35 km from Shillong.

Ahmedabad, India
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reliability of flights to Shillong / Umroi airport

Which flights are available to Umroi airport ? as i am unable to find any in the kolkatta - umroi belt as suggested. please let me know

Ahmedabad, India
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reliability of flights to Shillong / Umroi airport

Would like to know which flights fly out from Kolkatta to Umroi, Shillong

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,592 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reliability of flights to Shillong / Umroi airport

Air India (AI9711)has flights to Shillong (Barapani Airport) from Kolkata.

Edited: 5:02 am, February 17, 2014
6. Re: Reliability of flights to Shillong / Umroi airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 19, 2015