We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meghalaya

india
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Meghalaya

Is May a suitable time to visit Meghalaya?

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meghalaya

@ umasuch

Well May-Spe is the normal Monsoon period in this part of the world. And when it rains, it pours. So if you love the rains, then this the best place to be during monsoons. However, I would also like to point out that it rains maybe 4-7 days at a stretch and then theres a dry patch in between before the start of another rain pouring stretch. So if you are lucky you can enjoy both.

For a feel of how it has been the past few years in Sohra, please check the following link:

www.cherrapunjee.com/weather_info.php?more=1

Regards,

Karikor Kharkongor

india
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meghalaya

Thanks Mr. Kharkongor, I do love the rains but moving around would be a problem.

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meghalaya

Dear Uma,

Well let me reassure you that the rainfall pattern in this part of the world has definitely changed. When we were kids it would rain non stop the entire day, infact it could go up to even 3-4 days, non stop. Now days, it pours mercilessly for a couple of hours or sometimes more and then it stops and infact is warm and sunny the whole day. Infact most times, it rains the entire night and then its bright and sunny through out the day. So unless you are very unlucky and get stuck in some rare freak weather, May is still a good month to give it a shot.However I can't say the same for a month like July.

Regards,

Karikor Kharkongor

india
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meghalaya

Thanks Kharkongor. You are again attempting me to make my plans for May. I think I should!

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meghalaya

Well which part of May are you considering? SInce the past few years, the Monsoons have been arising a little late, the first half of May should be ok. By the way, how many days are you thinking of?

india
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meghalaya

Maybe Last week of April, running into 1st week of May - 7 to 8 days?

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meghalaya

Oh that sounds totally fine. There will be light pre monsoon showers at that time. But nothing that can drown your spirits. By the way 7-8 days is pretty decent. How many places do you hope to cover?

india
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meghalaya

Perhaps you can advice me what places I should visit?

Thanks

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meghalaya

Uma

Definitely, give me an idea of what you expect from this trip? Just normal Sightseeing or something more adventurous. And would you just want to stick to the normal Tourist circuits, or would you like to explore a little bit more. And wih a week in hand, you can do it relaxingly so. And how many of you are coming and their age and sex.

Cheers.

Karikor

10. Re: Meghalaya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 27, 2013