We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
348 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

How is the drive between Jammu and Dalhousie. Are the roads good. How much time does it take.

Is it better to drive from Jammu to Dalhousie or other way round from Dalhousie to Jammu. I have the option to either start or end my trip in Jammu.

Thanks for any responses.

Mentioned in this post
Dalhousie
Dalhousie
Chamba District, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
859 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

The drive from Dalhousie to Jammu is 190 kms of which 80 kms is steep hills from Pathankot to Dalhousie. Downhill drive on steep mountains is always more enjoyable than uphill. So perhaps you should drive from Dalhousie to Jammu. Otherwise the drive is more or less the same whether you start at Jammu or Dalhousie. The roads are okay for Indian cars but the Jammu to Pathankot leg may disappoint a BMW. Depending on your vehicle and speed it will take between 6-8 hours.

Hope this helped!

Mentioned in this post
Dalhousie
Dalhousie
Chamba District, India
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
348 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

Thanks Vaishali. Appreciated.

Pahalgam, India
Destination Expert
for Jammu and Kashmir
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

Dear,

It takes just 4 hours from jammu-dalhousie or vice versa the roads are perfect 4 all kind of vehicles and the jammu- pathankot is very good mostly 4 lane.

regards

sunny

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
859 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

Hi Sunny,

Pathankot - Dalhousie stretch alone takes 3.5 hours. I have been traveling all my life to go to boarding school in Dalhousie (www.sacredheartdalhousie.com). Perhaps, there is is an error in your calculation.

Rgds,

Mentioned in this post
Dalhousie
Dalhousie
Chamba District, India
Pahalgam, India
Destination Expert
for Jammu and Kashmir
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

Dear Vaishali,

Its nice to know you were in Sacred heart as my daughter is also studying there and we go everymonth on 2 nd saturday to meet her my calculation is absolutely perfect as from Pathankot to Dalhousie is just 80 odd kms and just takes around 2 hrs from pathankot.

Regards

Sunny

Mentioned in this post
Dalhousie
Dalhousie
Chamba District, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
859 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

Hi Sunny,

Pathankot to Dalhousie is 90 kms and not 80kms and it is 100% up hill drive and no one in the world can cover 90 kms uphill in 2 hours. Perhaps you fly in a hot air balloon and not telling us ! The fastest car can do 30 kms in 1 hour on any steep hill route. And having spent 12 years in dalhousie, I have definitely done this trip multiple times more than you, but I shall not argue with you any further. You know better.

Kind Regards

Mentioned in this post
Dalhousie
Dalhousie
Chamba District, India
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
348 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

When was the last that you did this stretch Vaishali. Maybe recently the roads are upgraded and hence one can do it faster now as Sunny says.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
859 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

I did this stretch 15 days ago. And I have done it over 100 times in my life. This stretch has been fantastic since time immemorial. Absolutely smooth roads, wide as well and very well maintained.

Hope this helped!

Pahalgam, India
Destination Expert
for Jammu and Kashmir
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

Thx Vaishali, but its normal time taken taken abt 2 hrs for everyone driving in a pvt vehicle from Pathankot to dalhousie but it makes no sense to argue further as you think you are right and i do the same.

Regards

Sunny

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
859 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive between Jammu and Dalhousie

SunnyKashmir7,

I agree with you. And there is no point in arguing. You are right. I agree that on a sonic speed this trip can be done in 2 hours 45 minutes but one thing we failed to appreciate is that perhaps Bobby is making this trip to enjoy the drive and his approach may be different from those zipping to meet time deadlines. You will agree that you go on a saturday to meet your daughter and be back on Sunday so perhaps time for you is at a premium.

Also, maybe I am growing old and memory cells are fading:))

Just kidding. No hard feelings.

Does it matter how long one takes to do a spot as long as we enjoy doing it:)

On the same note, have a great day!