We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in The Wilds!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
453 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in The Wilds!

My wife and I spent two nights in a yurt on Nomad Ridge in The Wilds and took two tours (Open Air and WIldside) through the grounds. We had a ball! Here is the link to my trip journal that includes photos:

…weebly.com/tr---the-wilds-2015.html

Edited: 2:24 pm, September 27, 2015
Mentioned in this post
The Wilds
The Wilds
814 Reviews
Cumberland, OH
5 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,492 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in The Wilds!

Thanks, DE

Liked that " We were pleased to see that there was an air conditioning unit"

-- we could not survive w/o A/C

On our radar

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in The Wilds!

Thanks for sharing, OhioHick!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in The Wilds!

OhioHick, another great trip report!

It's most disheartening how the human race continues to pillage our natural heritage, and makes a place such as The Wilds so vital. It makes one wonder if The Wilds some day won't even be the target of poachers in search of rhino horns, and whether they have adequate security to deter such an attack...unlikely.

It's ironic that The Wilds' over 9,000 acres was made possible only by strip mining. A visit to the nearby mouth of the Big Muskie, which created The Wilds' current topography, is an artifact of that history.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2184

Do you have any opinion or information about the Sunset Safari Tour and why you didn't consider that as an option? I thought they visited the animal barns as part of that tour, but I don't see that mentioned any longer in the tour description.

You didn't mention the zipline. Does that mar the views from Nomad Ridge?

It must have been frustrating to have forgotten your binoculars, as I've found them essential there.

I know this is only a limited destination trip report, but it's so special it would be great if you posted it to the trip report thread at the top of the forum where it will be more readily found. The Wilds unfortunately still is not well known, even among Ohioans.

Thanks again for providing the link!

Mentioned in this post
The Wilds
The Wilds
814 Reviews
Cumberland, OH
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,171 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in The Wilds!

are you KIDDING me??? We'd never been to the Wilds till a friend of ours offered to take us this year. We were there at 10 am on Labor Day Sunday. We just missed you. How bizarre is that? We, too, just loved it. Great fun in the open buses.

Mentioned in this post
The Wilds
The Wilds
814 Reviews
Cumberland, OH
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in The Wilds!

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you are enjoying the TR.

T-eye: You know, I had the same thoughts about poachers hitting a place like The Wilds. It is a scary scenario but could happen due to the outrageous price that rhino horn brings. Our Wildside tour guide, Chris, gave us some horror stories about rhino poaching; I did not want to go into the details in the TR but it illustrates perfectly your statement that it is “most disheartening how the human race continues to pillage our natural heritage.”

There was a lot of talk about how the Wilds was built on land that had been strip mined. I guess the land was actually donated by the mining company. Thanks for the link about the Big Muskie bucket; we pass that sign often on our way back to WV and I usually threaten to make that detour. Someday.

As for the Sunset Safari tour, our hope was to take that tour, but it is only offered on Friday and Saturday so the timing just did not work out this trip. We did do the Sunset Safari Tour during our first trip in 2007 and it was quite nice and did include a stop by the animal barns as I recall (but it was 8 years ago so I might have that confused with some other animal tour). I’m sure we’ll visit The Wilds again with the intention of doing the Sunset Safari.

The zip line is of no interest to me or MsHick; just not our idea of fun. There are several towers scattered around the grounds but generally between the visitor center (up on the ridge) working downhill across the ponds ending at the Lake Trail. I think there are 10 or 12 towers, but they really are not a distraction and do not take away from the views.

As for the binoculars, I did not miss them at all. We were extremely fortunate that the critters were very accessible. Besides, I tend to use my camera as a spotting scope of sorts (I carry a Canon SX50 HS, one of the bridge camera, which has a 50X optical and 200x digital zoom so I can bring the critters in very close). But we’ll make sure we have them for the return trip just in case.

I did post the TR in the Ohio read trip TR thread.

wings: NO WAY! That is just goofy. Too bad we missed each other. Glad that you enjoyed your time at The Wilds.

Mentioned in this post
The Wilds
The Wilds
814 Reviews
Cumberland, OH
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Reply to: Weekend in The Wilds!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland
Recent Conversations