We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel advice!

VA
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need hotel advice!

My husband and I are coming into town for the Columbus marathon the weekend of Oct 13-16. Since we're not familar with parking on race day (and the city in general) we'd like to stay near the start/finish area, which is downtown (the race finishes up at Nationwide Arena). However, since we'll be in town for a few days we'd like to get a good glimpse of Columbus and also be able to walk to restaurants, activities, etc.

Anyone have recommendations for good, safe downtown hotels that are also convenient to shopping, restaurants, etc? Or, is it more advisable/reasonable to stay a little outside of this area?

Also, any can't miss restaurants? Since we're coming for the marathon we'll definitely be interested in good food! :)

Thanks in advance!!

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need hotel advice!

Not much shopping downtown, unless you want to go to boutiques in the Short North. Any of the hotels on Nationwide Blvd. would probably be good. If you stayed in those, you could easily walk to Short North for places to eat and shop.

Good shopping can be found at Easton or Polaris which are both maybe a 20 minute or so drive from downtown.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need hotel advice!

Try the Crowne Plaza on Nationwide Boulevard. It is a nice hotel conveniently located in downtown Columbus. The hotel has a web page at www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/cmhoc that you might find to be helpful. Nationwide Arena is very close to hotel, as is the convention center. The City Center Mall is a little less than a mile from the hotel. There's also a Red Roof Inn on the same street that is surprisingly nice. The Hyatt and Hampton Inn Downtown aren't bad, but are a bit pricey for what you get. Hope this helps. Don't wait too long to book a room!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need hotel advice!

Don't choose any hotel due to closeness to City Center Mall, if you want to go shopping. This once-great mall is now home to mostly empty storefronts and even a charter school. Not much left except for Victoria's Secret, Express and Bath and Body Works. Stay downtown to be close to the race and head to Easton, only about 15 minutes away, for great shopping and restaurants.

VA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need hotel advice!

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone! I think we're leaning towards staying downtown so we can be close to the race start/finish. But the Easton area sounds like a good place to shop/dine, as does Short North. We're both in our 20's, so some night life/activities (after the marathon of course!) would be great!

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need hotel advice!

Then you will have fun running around the Arena Dist/Short North for bars and nighttime stuff! :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need hotel advice!

I agree, the arena district and the short north will be fun for you guys! Based on location, I would recommend the Hampton Inn and Suites on high street. It's within easy walking distance of the arena district and the short north. You probably already know this, but be prepared to pay to park at all the downtown hotels. When I want to go out, I go to the arena district. When I want to shop, I go to Easton. For dining suggestions, I'd say the Elevator Brewery downtown, or if you're seafood lovers try The Fish Market just northeast of downtown on Olentangy Rd. For lunch, I like to go to Gibby's for a beer and a sandwich or to Chipotle for a burrito the size of my head. If you go to Easton, make sure you're good and hungry because you can't go wrong with the restaurants there. Have fun and good luck in the race!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
149 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need hotel advice!

I'll second the Hampton Inn in the Short North. Also, Crowne Plaza, Red Roof Inn, and The Lofts (a boutique hotel that is next to the Crowne Plaza). I've actually stayed at the Lofts, and it would be *great* for a special occasion with the hubby ;-)

There are TONS of great restaurants in the Short North. The North Market is a great place to browse and graza. I always like the Burgundy Room, a tapas bar.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
121 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need hotel advice!

Although everyone has warned against downtown Hotels since there's no shopping - as a Marathonner, your biggest worry will come on Sunday morning, when you flock out of the hotels and towards the Starting Line. Staying up near Polaris or Easton means you'll have to fight with one-way streets, detours, and blockades. Even the hotels downtown are not totally familiar with exit or entrance routes on these days - Suburban Hotels won't have much of a clue on getting you into the fray.

Also, if you are one of those joggers who would like a late checkout on Sunday, many hotels will not extend your checkout past 2pm without an additional day rate charge.

Being downtown has many distinct advantages in a case like this, with the first three all being location. City Center Mall has Macy's and a few other attractions, which will fill your basic needs quite nicely. You're coming to run, eat, and do some sightseeing.

All hotels will have plenty of materials behind their front desk. Ask for the "Columbus Guide", "The Book Loft Guide to German Village" and the flyers produced by the Short Nort Business Association.

Additionally, all hotel staffs get "Concierge Cards" which get you a 10-20% discount on the food portion of your bill. You really can't go wrong with any eatery in German Village, the Short North, or Arena District. I can't think of one experience I've had dining, other than problems getting my "commission" for referrals to the Elevator - 36 dollars worth of food credit for over 720 dollars worth of referrals - but their food is still tasty.

Here's to easy miles,

c.c.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need hotel advice!

Hi,

I'll also advise the Hampton Inn downtown. You will literally be right in the middle of all the fun things to do and still be just a few blocks away from the race. That way you can get your party on and stumble back to your hotel without a cab.

Just outside your door you'll find great places to eat such as Japanese Steak House and Abbracci (Steak and Italian). Hyde Park and Lu Pon Zi are just a block away to the north along with quite a few other great restaurants in the Short North.

http://www.theshortnorth.com/

http://www.shortnorth.org/

http://www.arena-district.com/

A few small bars are also a stones throw from the hotel with Barley's Brew House or Novacs. For a great martini, go to Martini's, just a block south on Vine or try the Carlise Club. For sushi you can't beat Kooma, also on Vine. If you take Vine street over to Front St then you'll run into the Area District. Plenty of places to party here: Brothers, Lodge Bar, Gasworks, Spice, Frog Bear and Wild Boar. Also if you like blues, the Blues Station is in that area as well. ($6-$12 cover)

For shopping I'd have to say Easton. Great shopping and It also has the Funny Bone Comedy Club, Shadowbox Cabaret, a huge movie theater and all the bars and restaurants you'll need to have a nice time. It's about a 15 min drive by taking 670 east to 270 north and get off at the Easton exit.

http://eastontowncenter.com/

Any questions just let us know.

HFPO!

(Have Fun and Party On!)

10. Re: Need hotel advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 27, 2009