We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rush Hour Traffic in Columbus

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Rush Hour Traffic in Columbus

We'll be traveling through Columbus on a weekday this October on I-71. What's the traffic like? Should be take I-270 around the city instead?

TIA

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rush Hour Traffic in Columbus

Take 270

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rush Hour Traffic in Columbus

I too would generally say take 270 around rather than 71 through. According to Google maps it only adds about 10 minutes to the drive. Don't know exactly how far you're driving that day, but this is likely just a drop in the bucket and I could easily see heavy traffic (or worse) costing you that much (or more) if you ran into problems when going through downtown.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rush Hour Traffic in Columbus

I wouldn't leave I-71 to use I-270 to go around Columbus with the possible exception of rush hour. I find it hard to believe that I-270 is only 10 miles longer, but I suppose it's possible. Check road construction for both routes, however. I've read that there can be rush hour bottlenecks on I-270, as well, but I've never encountered those.

Edited: 12:45 pm, August 18, 2014
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rush Hour Traffic in Columbus

Thanks for the replies.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
751 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rush Hour Traffic in Columbus

I don't think I'd bother with going all the way around on 270. Traffic usually isn't too bad in Columbus, and at rush hour, parts of 270 can be backed up as badly as the other highways in any event.

If you want to avoid the stretch where 70 and 71 run together around downtown Columbus, which is currently under construction and can get slow at times, SR 315 is an alternate. If you were coming from the south, you'd just go straight where 315 starts off NB 71 (just past Greenlawn) and take it up to 270 on the north side, then EB 270 for a couple miles to 71 N. Coming the other direction, just reverse it (71 SB to 270 WB to 315 S, which flows into 71 SB after it ends)

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,571 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rush Hour Traffic in Columbus

both routes get bad for rush hour but I'd still take 270 over 71. 270 is better.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rush Hour Traffic in Columbus

I have been using the google map app which shows traffic flow. (green is good, yellow is slower, red is bad)...

We always go I-71 as the primary, but utilize SR-315 as the secondary route if I-71 is showing red.

IMO, all routes are horrible during rush hour in Columbus, even I-270.

8. Re: Rush Hour Traffic in Columbus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 21, 2015