We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton On East State Street

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Sheraton On East State Street

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be in Columbus in Mid Novemeber to catch a "Blue Jackets" game and were wondering if the Sheraton would be a decent hotel to stay in that would be within walking distance of the Arena and places to eat?

Any advice or ideas would be great, we are on a budget...so $100.00/night is good for us!

Thanks in advance!

Columbus
Level Contributor
208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton On East State Street

You **could** walk it, but it would be a long walk. It is many blocks from the Arena.

You would be better off staying at the Drury Inn on Nationwide Blvd or any of the other hotels close by. Search for hotels in the "Arena District" to find hotels that are close.

There are a lot of restaurants near the Arena. Check out the R-Bar, the hockey bar just a few hundred feet north of the front door, for the best place to hang out before the game.

Also, if you are coming in for a game, be aware that non-game day practices are open to the public in the practice rink attached to the Arena. It's fabulous to watch a practice from just a couple of feet away, and easy to get autographs as the players walk past from the locker room.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
692 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton On East State Street

The Sheraton is a little under a mile walk from the Arena, so it's theoretically walkable, but a distance that may be too far for a lot of people, especially late at night or in cold weather. If you wanted to try to get closer, try searching for the hotels along Nationwide Blvd, which would be within a few blocks from the Arena.

If you do stay at the Sheraton, you'll be a couple blocks from the restaurants on E Gay St, which is one of the busier parts of downtown Columbus. You'll also be right next to my favorite downtown restaurant, Market 65, which is in the Capitol Square building attached to the Sheraton. Although it is more of a lunch place, but they have added beer now, and I think they're staying open later.

The Sheraton is across the street from the Ohio Statehouse. That part of downtown is generally more 9-5, so unless there is an event at the Ohio Theatre or Columbus Commons park, there's not going to be a whole lot going on in the evenings. If you stay closer to the Arena, you'll be closer to areas with more going on at night.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton On East State Street

Based on my experience (I've stayed at most of the hotels around the convention center), your best chance of meeting your budget figure is the Red Roof Inn; Drury is probably second best chance.

I also agree that any hotel in this area would be a better option than those down around the Capital. Both for walking to the game, but also for everything else. The area around the Capital can get pretty sparse as the night wears on, but if you're up north there's the Arena District, Short North, etc all nearby.

Now, I suppose if I found some kind of deal around the Capital; one that was saving me enough for round-trip cab fare . . . I might stay down there, but I doubt it. I much prefer to just walk out the door and down the street to eat, drink, shop, or whatever.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Franklin, Ohio
Level Contributor
167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton On East State Street

If you stay around the Nationwide Blvd area you will be within a decent walking distance (on a possibly cold night). I stayed at the Drury Inn on Nationwide last year and loved it. It is an easy walk to the Arena and restaurants, bars, etc. Plus it offers the extras of the 5:30 kickback snacks, drinks and very good breakfast.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton On East State Street

Thank you everyone for the replies, I looked into the Drury and unfortunatly it is all booked for the time we need! I will keep looking...we might actually stay in the German Village that way we can look around and have a great meal!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton On East State Street

Keep in mind German Village isn't walking distance to the downtown either. But it's a cute neighborhood. Be sure to check out Juergens Bakerie! The best beesting cake I've ever had.

7. Re: Sheraton On East State Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 15, 2014