We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area of Columbus should we stay in?

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
What area of Columbus should we stay in?

My husband and I will be spending a weekend in Columbus next month in between visits to Cedar Point and Kings Island, and could use some advice on where in/around Columbus to stay. We are hoping to book a room through Priceline, but can't decide which "zone" to bid in. We're planning to visit the Columbus Zoo one day, and probably head out to Hocking Hills State Park one day, but don't have any other specific plans in the Columbus area (aside from getting some Graeters ice cream!) Are there areas/neighborhoods that we should avoid? We aren't looking for anything fancy, just a clean, safe, relatively inexpensive hotel, preferrably with free parking. It would be nice if it is near some decent restaurants, so we don't have to drive too far for dinner.

Any suggestions on which areas we should look at for a hotel? Thanks for any help.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
96 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What area of Columbus should we stay in?

I echo the suggestion to stay in Dublin (270 & 161, or 270 & Tuttle Crossing Blvd), and then Lancaster or Logan for Hocking Hills. You didn't ask...but consider starting your hike at Cedar Falls and hiking towards Old Mans's Cave. I think 6 miles round trip. Cedar Falls parking & area is usually less crowded. There's a gorge trail (cooler) and a rim trail where you get more sun. Also Conkle's Hollow is a bit away from the other more active parks, it's on Big Pine Rd.

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What area of Columbus should we stay in?

Thanks for the hike suggestion; that sounds like a good length for us. How would you describe the difficulty of that route? And how steep is it/how much elevation change? As for the lodging, we started bidding on Priceline for both the Dublin area and the Worthington/Polaris zone, but haven't had any luck yet. We made a tentative reservation in the "Columbus North" area, but plan to try more Priceline bidding. We dont really want to move from hotel to hotel each day, so we're just going to dal with a somewhat long drive to and from Hocking Hills from the Columbus area. Is it about 90 minutes each way?

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
96 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What area of Columbus should we stay in?

From Dublin to Hocking State Forest, yes about 90 minutes. There is construction on both 270 south from Dublin; and also on I-71 into downtown. These are not terrible delays for traffic unless there is also an accident holding things up.

The gorge trail is also known as "Grandma Gatewood Trail", named after a local resident.

Difficulty: 3 out of 5. It does have some rocky & narrow passages and a few places where you'll want to use your hands. I've never gone the whole length because I'm so distracted by all the scenery!

Into the gorge is about 100 feet down steps from the parking lot. Along the gorge trail, maybe 20 foot changes up & down. Some steps there too.

This webpage http://www.thehockinghills.org/hiking.htm describes it as "rugged".

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What area of Columbus should we stay in?

I don't disagree with any of the posts you'll do fine by them. You could stay on the east side of Columbus at the 256 Pickerington exit off of I-70. It's an easy drive to Hocking Hills and It's near the outerbelt (270) and an easy base to work from. There's also a Graeters in Pickerington. But you must try Jeni's (mmm Pistachio Honey). Have fun.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What area of Columbus should we stay in?

Yeah you have to give Jeni's a go, it's really awesome.

I've been to Columbus twice and I stayed in the Arena district both times, I liked it central positioning to anything I wanted to see, namely the short north, the German village....

Also, check out the topiary garden, it's free and incrediably peaceful. I think it's quite an interesting idea!

16. Re: What area of Columbus should we stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 am, June 22, 2013