We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hotel in the short north?

michigan
Level Contributor
233 posts
402 reviews
Save Topic
Good hotel in the short north?

Need to go to Columbus for a volleyball tournament (convention center)....can any one recommend a favorite hotel or B&B in the Short North?

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hotel in the short north?

Hampton Inn is in the middle of e Short North and totally acceptable.

There are B&Bs in Victorian and German Village. I am not aware of any in the Short North.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good hotel in the short north?

I second the recommendation for the Hampton Inn, however, you can go to a site such as hotels.com and enter your location as either the "Arena District" or the "Convention Center" and see all of the hotels in the immediate area.

I've heard great things about The Lofts, as well.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hotel in the short north?

There really aren't any hotels "officially" in Short North (and I don't know of any B&Bs, but theere might be a few), but most of the Convention Center hotels are easily walkable.

I've stayed at most of them (Drury & Lofts being the main exceptions). All are at least acceptabl and with little regard for budget (you didn't provide any) I'd probably go, in order: Hampton, Crowne Plaza, Lofts, Drury/Hyatt, Red Roof Inn. May have missed one or two and, as I pointed out haven't actually stayed at Drury or Lofts. These last 2 are are "ranked" based on experience at others of the same brand, expectation and/or what I have experienced being in their common areas.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good hotel in the short north?

Oh, it's also worth noting that some of the hotels down around Capital Square are often bargains on Hotwire/Priceline. Now, that opens a whole new kettle of fish (re: bidding & identifying hotels) and you need to know what you're doing before booking, but thought it was worth mentioning if you're looking for a deal.

Also, they make walking to the Short North somewhat problematic. It's not that far, but it's a pretty good hoof (I'm guessing a mile or so) and don't know if I'd do it at night (not that it's particularly unsafe, just gets real "empty" around Capital Square at night and it's semi-far). On the other hand, it would be a pretty short/cheap cab ride and if the savings on the room was enough, I might be tempted.

hlo

michigan
Level Contributor
233 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good hotel in the short north?

So hotels around the convention center are all booked due to the volleyball tournament. Other good neighborhoods to try?

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
757 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good hotel in the short north?

Hyatt Place at Grandview Yard is not too far away, although not walking distance.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good hotel in the short north?

The Holiday Inn Express on Olentangy is another possibility, but you'll have to drive to the convention center.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good hotel in the short north?

The Blackwell Inn - on OSU's campus.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
757 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good hotel in the short north?

There's a new Springhill Suites at Olentangy RIver Rd & King. Also driving distance but not too far from the Short North.

10. Re: Good hotel in the short north?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:41 pm, June 21, 2013