We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for hotel near Columbus

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for hotel near Columbus

We will be traveling from St. Louis to Canton in August. We are looking for a hotel that would be convenient to spend a night in Columbus. We would like it to be fairly new, clean, and not too far off of the highway.

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for hotel near Columbus

The Hilton Columbus/Polaris is a great hotel. I have stayed there several times and each time it has been very clean and the staff have been very courteous and friendly. It is right off of the highway and was built in 2008.

There are several other hotels in the Polaris area that you might want to take a look at, as well.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Columbus/Polaris
Hilton Columbus/Polaris
960 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Polaris Grill
Polaris Grill
276 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for hotel near Columbus

The Polaris area fits your description. The same exit has a Hilton Garden Inn, Hampron Inn, and Fairfield Inn. Everything off this exit is new within a couple of years. Many restaurants and a major mall nearby.

Mentioned in this post
Polaris Grill
Polaris Grill
276 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for hotel near Columbus

Thank you both for the information. We will stay in one of the hotels in Polaris. Is there any place in the area that you would suggest for dinner? We would be interested in a place that is a local restaurant and not a chain restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Polaris Grill
Polaris Grill
276 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for hotel near Columbus

Well since you'll be on the 71 N path I would second the poalris area. Do a keyword search for Polaris hotels also check out Crosswoods area near worthington. Depending on your budget there are quite a few restaurants in the immediate area most are chains and some local chains not national. What type of cuisine?

Edited: 4:47 pm, May 31, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Polaris Grill
Polaris Grill
276 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for hotel near Columbus

The food options in the Polaris area run the gauntlet. Locally owned restaurants are:

Marsala's (Italian - on Polaris Pkwy)

El Vaquero (Mexican - on Sancus Blvd)

Ming Flower (Chinese - on Lazelle Road).

House of Japan (hibachi & sushi - on Sancus) **Highly recommend

Claddagh Irish Pub (Irish pub fare - on Sancus)

Rusty Bucket Tavern ("comfort food" - on Polaris)

Hoggy's or City BBQ (BBQ - both on Sancus)

I've heard good reviews about the new Fisherman's Wharf that just opened but I have not ate there yet.

Mentioned in this post
Polaris Grill
Polaris Grill
276 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for hotel near Columbus

Adding to Annual's list: Polaris Grill at the SE corner of the I 71 intersection. Local, single location. The house salad is a favorite. Good crab cakes. Atad upscale, but reliable performer.

If you decide Mexican, the same family who own El Vacero have a new location, Blue Agave at the corner of Cleveland and Polaris. I believe better atmosphere and staff than Vacero.

Marsala should be Marcella's offering italian small plates as well as entrees. A good spot more modern than mom and pop.

Mentioned in this post
Polaris Grill
Polaris Grill
276 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Marcella's
Marcella's
460 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Columbus
Level Contributor
222 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for hotel near Columbus

The Polaris Pub is nice for a drink. It's at the east end of the mall, tucked behind the Cheesecake Factory.

For Indian food, Cumin (across the street from the west end of the mall) is pretty good.

Within the mall itself, Lindeys is a nice local place, excellent food, and NOT what you would consider a typical mall restaurant at all.

If you need a snack, about 2 blocks east of the I-71/Polaris interchange in a strip mall on the south side of the road is the Suisse Shoppe. It's won multiple awards as one of the best bakeries in Columbus, especially for its cakes and cookies. The chocolate sour cream cookies are my absolute favorites.

Mentioned in this post
Lindey's
Lindey's
955 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Polaris Grill
Polaris Grill
276 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for hotel near Columbus

You might want to try Eddie Merlot's. It's fairly pricey, but it's well worth it! It's in the Polaris area (same driveway as the Hilton, right across the street from Polaris Fashion Place).

Mentioned in this post
Polaris Fashion Place
Polaris Fashion Place
180 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Polaris Grill
Polaris Grill
276 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for hotel near Columbus

Since you will be traveling on I-70 to Columbus, a different option might be the new Hyatt Place in Grandview Yard. It is not as close ( maybe 1.5 miles)to a freeway as the previous Polaris posts but you would it would give you a place that does not look like any location off a freeway in a large city. Not that that is a bad thing but just a different thing. You would follow the signs for I-670 from I-70..not complicated, no wild merges, exit at Grandview Ave, turn right on Goodale Blvd, and the hotel will be less than a mile. The next morning it would be easy to take Route 315 North to I-71 to continue to Canton. In the Grandview location you would have a local restaurant next door or the hotel staff could give you simple directions to either the Short North or the Grandview Ave dining areas. Both will have a number of small local options for dining and shopping.

Edited: 7:15 pm, June 29, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Polaris Grill
Polaris Grill
276 Reviews
Columbus, OH
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
545 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for hotel near Columbus

Bj's Brewhouse is yummy and so is Mimis both very close to Hilton Polaris.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Columbus/Polaris
Hilton Columbus/Polaris
960 Reviews
Columbus, OH