We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

60th Anniversary Dinner for 45 guests...Need ideas please!!!

Lincroft, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Topic
60th Anniversary Dinner for 45 guests...Need ideas please!!!

I've been given the honor of planning a 60th anniversary dinner in October in Columbus. I haven't lived there for 30 years so I could really use some suggestions. Cost is a factor, of course. It dosen't need to be ultra chic, but the ambience is another important factor. And good food! The guests of honor wouldn't be terribly interested in very ethnic food. We'll hopefully have a cocktail hour and a sit down dinner. I think plated rather than buffet unless it just won't be a choice. I truly appreciate your input.

NJBuckeye

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 60th Anniversary Dinner for 45 guests...Need ideas please!!!

I have seen rehersal dinner parties at the Spaghetti Warehouse that big. I think they rent out the entire upstairs for that kind of thing.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 60th Anniversary Dinner for 45 guests...Need ideas please!!!

Buca de Bepo handles large groups very well at moderate prices. Two locations in Columbus, Short north in front of Nationwide Arena. Worthington at Wilson Bridge Road and High St. at the SE corner of 270 and Route 23.

La Scala on Route 161 W of Sawmill Road has private rooms and modest prices.

Villa Milano on Schrock Road is a banquet house for large, private groups.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 60th Anniversary Dinner for 45 guests...Need ideas please!!!

As ambiance is a stated concern, certainly consider the Mohawk Room at Lindey's in German Village.

www.lindeys.com/PlananEvent/EventRooms.aspx

The owners of Lindey's have launched a new chain called Brio Tuscan Grille. They have opened restaurants at Polaris and Easton Towne Center.

http://www.brioitalian.com/index.html

While these locations wouldn't have the charm of Lindey's and German Village, parking may be more convenient and they would be located much more conveniently to a large number of hotels. Brio also likely would be cheaper than Lindey's.

Emphasize parking availability for a group of 60 if you consider Lindey's and other restaurants downtown.

BOL!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 60th Anniversary Dinner for 45 guests...Need ideas please!!!

My wife and I had our rehearsal dinner at Lindey's. We were pleased with the ambience and the food was delicious. (Parking for 45, however, may be another issue...) We had our reception at the Columbus Atheaneum. Again, here we were pleased with the ambience and the food, plus we can't say enough about the event staff who we felt went above and beyond on the day of the event.

http://www.columbusmeetings.com/tour.php

Granted you are not planning a wedding reception, but the goal of organizing a nice meal at a nice venue without breaking the bank remains the same.

Other places to consider: Schmidt's Sausage Haus, The Venue at Smith Brothers, North Bank Park, Franklin Park Conservatory

Lincroft, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 60th Anniversary Dinner for 45 guests...Need ideas please!!!

Thanks to everyone for the good ideas. Our short list is: Lindy's, The Refectory, The Westin and La Scala. They each have our date available.

La Scala would be the least expensive but no one has been inside for years and years. Their banquet manager didn't seem terribly professional.

Any further thoughts or suggestions? Again, than you all for your time and information.

Regards,

NJBuckeye

Columbus
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 60th Anniversary Dinner for 45 guests...Need ideas please!!!

La Scala is a severe cut below the other 3 choices. I think of the Refectory as being the most formal (but possibly the best wine cellar in Ohio) and Lindeys being the most intimate. The Westin, as a hotel, could be less personal. I would go with either the Refectory or Lindeys, with Lindeys being my first choice. But all of those 3 are good choices and should give you a great time. Good luck with your planning and I hope it's a wonderful and fun occasion!

Lincroft, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 60th Anniversary Dinner for 45 guests...Need ideas please!!!

The owner of The Refectory really worked with me on the cost. Eventually with our negotiating, the price for The Refectory and Lindy's was the same. The Refectory location is just so convenient for our group and I am very confident about the quality of the food and wine.

Thanks to everyone who helped with their suggestions and time. It really assisted me with my decision.

Regards,

NJ Buckeye

8. Re: 60th Anniversary Dinner for 45 guests...Need ideas please!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 09, 2011