We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Betty's or 8 in Short North

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Betty's or 8 in Short North

Left Columbus 15 years ago and am meeting a friend who works at OSU for an early dinner next Thursday. Thought I'd like to visit the Short North, looks like it's changed a lot! Both of these places look good. We'll have our 11 yo daughter with us, would one be better than the other?

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
762 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Betty's or 8 in Short North

I haven't been to 8, although it's on my list of places I really need to get to. I have heard some kind of mixed reviews of it from different people(I don't know if it's considered kosher here to link to other messageboards, but there is a big thread with reviews of 8 at Columbus Underground), but I can't speak from my own experiences.

I can say that I have never had a bad meal at Betty's, and everyone I've taken there has enjoyed it. Like most places in the Short North, it attracts a diverse crowd. I've taken my parents and older relatives there and they liked it. I don't think I've seen kids in there very often, but early on a Thursday it should be more of a dinner and less of a bar crowd.

Columbus, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Betty's or 8 in Short North

Without a doubt...Betty's!

Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Betty's or 8 in Short North

Betty's would be better for the 11 year old.

Be prepared, it's always packed! You might want to have a plan "B"!

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Betty's or 8 in Short North

Some people think 8 is pretty loud, but I think it was okay the few times I have gone.

Betty's is: http://www.bettysfoodandspirits.com/

I would compare the menus and then make your decision.

You might also think about Surly Girl Saloon. I think that place would be fun for an 11 year old. http://www.surlygirlsaloon.com/

have fun!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Betty's or 8 in Short North

Betty's is cool with great food and a nice atmosphere. It may be crowded as mentioned before. After diner you can make a short walk south to Cold Stone Creamery and treat your daughter to some great ice cream.

Have fun!

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Betty's or 8 in Short North

Thanks for all your help with this. We are headed to Betty's with ice cream afterwards!

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Betty's or 8 in Short North

8 is alright upscale bar food, nothing special

The short north places that the locals love are...

Fine Dinning

Casual Fare

Betty's (must see, normal casual food but theres a draw you cannot put into words)

North Star (must see, great little breakfast)

Macs Cafe (great traditional pub, expect slow service)

Haiku (sushi)

Lemongrass (sushi)

Press Gril (best of the short north small pubs/diners)

Bodega (great hip bar/cafe) on 3rd and High further up in the S.N.

8. Re: Betty's or 8 in Short North

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, September 06, 2009