We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Cleveland...Can I have your top 5 nice restaurants?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Cleveland...Can I have your top 5 nice restaurants?

I'm taking my husband to Cleveland for his 31st birthday. He is orginally from Cleveland, a huge music fan and needless to say a die hard Browns fan. But I would like to take him to a nice dinner one night. I've never been to Cleveland so I have NO clue. Any suggestions? Nothing too stuffy, please. Thanks!

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Visiting Cleveland...Can I have your top 5 nice restaurants?

Vulp:

I may be ancient to you -- I'm 39 ; )

Anyway, when I was living away from Cleveland -- about 10 years before moving back -- Cleveland played much better to me than it does now. I moved back in 99. When I would return on extended visits, I'd hit on the highlights. But now that I'm back, I also see the lowlights. I'm particularly concerned about downtown nuisance crime and worse. Downtown is so appealing, but even diehard urban pioneers won't stay if their cars are repeatedly broken into or they feel threatened.

I think The Plain Dealer is dropping the ball here. They're not fully reporting what's going on here or they're reporting it small. In recent months, there have been several shootings in the entertainment district. And most recently, a woman and her 21-year-old son were kidnapped on w. 6th...the son was forced into the trunk...the kidnapper drove them under a bridge...tried to rape the woman...son kicked out the trunk to save his mom...and was shot in the stomach. This, clearly is extraordinary. In another case, a group of teens was targeting businessmen, attacking them near Tower City. In yet another case, a man was shot several times while driving around dead-man's curve last week. The city needs to acknowlege that there a problem downtown and target it before it gets worse.

Do I still go downtown? Of course I do. Every weekday and on weekends without hestitation. In many ways, I would love to live there. But at this point in my life, I don't want to live anywhere I don't feel comfortable walking our dog alone at midnight.

I think Cleveland has many ingredients to be a rebound city. But it's sorely lacking --actually, there's a vacuum -- of leadership to take it there. Maybe you'll bring it when you come home.

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
770 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Visiting Cleveland...Can I have your top 5 nice restaurants?

I agree with all of you. Cleveland has suffered its share of jokes, failings and disappointments. But all in all...once it's in your blood, it becomes you. Being born and raised here, I am having a very difficult time finding a "suitable" place to relocate. My husbands career offers him MANY job opportunities. Several we have looked into, but have declined because the cities just didn't "Feel like home".

Cleveland has A LOT to offer. World class health care, Cultural Arts, Diversity, Sports etc. That is hard to match. If our city government can clean up the area, draw in tourists and straighten up the economy and communities....we would "ROCK". Unfortunately, as A pointed out, it is declining fast. Poverty, poor education and crime are ruining what is good about Cleveland.

Out here in the suburbs we are definitely feeling the effects of urban Gentrification. Closer suburban areas are seeing real estate problems, neighborhood deterioration due to incoming class changes. What was once close nit communities are being plagued with dysfunction, crime and disunity.

These are the real reasons that Cleveland is losing it's productive members of society.

23. Re: Visiting Cleveland...Can I have your top 5 nice restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, August 16, 2009