We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Hotwire hotels

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, MA
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Hotwire hotels

I'm planning a trip to Cleveland for the first time over Labor Day weekend. I need to be staying in the downtown area, preferably centrally located to the major attractions (will be attending a football game on Saturday at the stadium, but want to do other stuff while there as well)

Because I am taking this trip on the cheap, I have been considering booking a hotel through Hotwire, which seems to have very favorable rates available. I have been trying my best to guess which hotels might actually be featured by Hotwire (since of course you don't know which hotel you get until you book it). There is a "3 star" room available for 48 bucks per night, and a "three and a half" star room available for 58 bucks per night.

Using my best powers of deduction based on which chains tend to use Hotwire to book excess rooms, I feel that the three star hotel is likely the Hampton Inn, while the 3.5 star is probably the Hyatt Arcade hotel. Does anyone have any insight or experience as to whether this is the case. It seems also from the other hotel thread that either one of these hotels would be a fine choice for the price, but if anyone has any comment, please fire away. Thanks.

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Hotwire hotels

There are too many hotels in downtown to make a good guess on this...however:

a) On Priceline (Hotwire, I'm not sure), the ONLY 4 star in the downtown zone is the Renaissance. I don't know if that helps. You can often land ithe Renaissance for $50 to $75 a night (we've twice paid $50 during home Browns games). We like the hotel, but like knowing what we're bidding on even more.

b) Check out biddingfortravel.com...it's a free site run by travelers bidding at sites like Hotwire. Find Ohio and look for Cleveland. People post what star-level hotel they bid on, the price they paid, the dates they're staying and what hotel they ended up at. It's a very accurate, up-to-date guide.

c) If your Hotwire deductions are correct, I'd swallow the extra $10 a night and grab the 3.5 star Hyatt...for location, location, location...and for it's unusual setting. I know you're on a budget and appreciate that...but hey, $10 = 3 gallons of gas or 1.5 beers at the Browns game.

Go Browns!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Hotwire hotels

I don't have any insight as to which it could be but I have a friend that comes into town on business that stays in the Hampton Inn and he says it's fine - nothing special, but clean, safe, etc. The hyatt is nicer IMO.

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Hotwire hotels

I booked a June stay in Cleveland on Priceline, and wound up getting the Crowne Plaza for $41 per night. It was rated as 3* on Priceline, and we were very pleased with our room. The location was very convenient to the major attractions. The only drawback is that the hotel does not have a pool or hot tub. We could see Browns Stadium and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame from the window of our room.

In addition to the biddingfortravel website another poster mentioned, you can also get similar priceline and hotwire information and bidding advice at www.betterbidding.com

4. Re: Question about Hotwire hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, August 14, 2009