We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cleveland food?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
11 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Cleveland food?

Hey folks.

I will be taking a day trip to Cleveland on the 25th (of this month), and will be going to the Women's Air and Space Museum, Lakeview, and Gray's Armory as major stopping points. Any restuarant suggestions? I want something that is like a Cleveland-staple. Maybe some Lake Erie fish? I dunno, something that Clevelanders love and claim, the way Pittsburghers do for Primanti Brothers. Thanks!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cleveland food?

Perhaps check out Sokolowski's University Inn for pierogies. Sokolowski's is a Polish-American cafeteria, one of Cleveland's few remaining legacy ethnic restaurants. It's old ethnic, and a favorite of the cable food networks and Cleveland food ambassador, Iron Chef and TV personality Michael Symon.

Much of Cleveland's culinary fame these days results from its "mod ethnic" restaurants, with a heavy emphasis on carnivore and locavore influences. E.g., check for beef cheek pierogies on the menus of restaurants such as Symon's Lola Bistro or Jonathan Sawyer's Greenhouse Tavern, both on East 4th St.

Melt Bar & Grilled, with restaurants in Cleveland Heights (nearest Lake View) and Lakewood (near downtown), is extremely popular and also a favorite of cable food networks. There can be long waits at peak dining times.

Happy Dog in the Gordon Square arts district also is a popular novelty restaurant.

Unfortunately, you're coming on a Tuesday when the West Side Market is closed. Steve's Gyros there are renown. Are you staying overnight? If so, you could visit the WSM on Wednesday morning. It opens at 11 a.m.

Your choice of attractions is somewhat novel, with the exception of Lake View. At Lake View, in addition to Wade Chapel and the Garfield Monument, be certain to visit John D. Rockefeller's family grave site. It's located just northeast of the Garfield Monument and is marked by a very large, white obelisk. Leave a dime for good fortune!

Many persons go to the adjacent Littly Italy after visiting Lake View. Presti's Bakery & Cafe is one of the most popular destinations there. Trattoria is just south of Presti's on Mayfield Road and uniquely in Little Italy has free parking in its own lot. Trattoria's eggplant parmigiana is highly regarded. Many diners at Trattoria walk the less than 100 feet north to Presti's for dessert or take-home treats.

A very short walk from the Women's Air and Space Museum is the U.S.S. Cod. If you've never seen it, definitely consider a visit.

You can find walleye in many restaurants, whether from Lake Erie or other Great Lakes. Yellow perch is much less common in Cleveland proper.

If you like beer, Great Lakes Brewery in the Market District is the most renown in Cleveland. The Market Garden Brewery is a block away from Great Lakes.

Definitely prearrange a tour of the Gray's Armory. It's possible that there may be nobody there at the time of your visit. Its gun range in the basement is very popular and worth a look as part of the tour; you might have to ask to see it.

Enjoy Cleveland!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cleveland food?

I second Melt Bar & Grilled! Excellent food at reasonable prices....

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cleveland food?

I always learn so much reading T-eye's posts!

If you are a beer drinker, try Great Lakes Brewery.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cleveland food?

Correction in post 1. The WSM opens at 7 a.m. There is free parking off Lorain.

I should have explained that the gun range has been in use for well over a century. I wouldn't be surprised that even Eliot Ness, whose ashes were scattered in a pond at Lake View, took practice there during the period he was Cleveland's Director of Public Safety.

http://www.graysarmory.com/

It's interesting that the Grays Armory history and the Wikipedia article about it fail to mention that the armory hosted the inaugural season of the renown Cleveland Orchestra.

…archive.org/web/…

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cleveland food?

OhioHick, you're living proof of the old adage about "in your own backyard," as you know almost everything about southern Utah! :-)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
11 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cleveland food?

Oh wow, thanks everyone! I will Google map these places and add a few of them to my route. Sadly I will literally only be there for a day- my Megabus arrives from Pittsburgh at 9:30am and Greyhound is taking me back at 5:30. When I have my blog updated with Cleveland I will let you guys know and post a link!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
11 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cleveland food?

Ok friends, I'm back from Cleveland. I chose to eat at Sokolowski's. The food was ok, not amazing but not terrible by any means. That's aprtly my fault, I ordered a really heavy meal in the middle of the day so my body sort of rebelled against me. The perogies were Awesome! I'll post reviews of the places I visited as I update my travel blog. All my photos are on Facebook though: www.facebook.com/50states5years

Thanks for ALL of your help!!!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cleveland food?

I've taken several people there and they all had bathroom issues after eating, even when they didn't overeat. The food is just cheap and full of margarine, not even real butter. I never recommend people go there when they come to town. The charm is just lost on me.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cleveland food?

R&R, I've never experienced stomach problems after dining at Sokolowki's and have never heard or read that complaint prior to this thread, and I've read almost all of the Sokolowski's reviews for the last several years. They generally are very positive. I probably don't eat the most problematic foods there, however. E.g., I'm not a big pierogi fan.

How are you certain that they use margarine instead of butter? By personal taste? It's an interesting point, as I do try to avoid transfats.

10. Re: Cleveland food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 29, 2014