We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

extended stay

Scotland
11 posts
Save Topic
extended stay

Hi All,

I hope you can thrown your pearls of wisdom my way...I will be travelling to Cleveland, for 2 months, next year (from April - June). I've done a bit of research on where I should stay - my first choice is Downtown, then Ohio City. Does anyone know of hotels in either area who offer good rates for long term stays or do you think I would be best to look at furnished apartments with a short term lease?

Thanks in advance! :)

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Rocky River, Ohio
Level Contributor
196 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: extended stay

I think there's a Residence Inn located downtown ... not sure if there are any extended stay hotels near Ohio City. What do you consider a good rate? As far as Ohio City is concerned ... beware of where you might stay there. While some areas are quite nice, others are not quite so nice. Would you consider a suburb, like Westlake? There's a few extended stay hotels in that area. You'd be about 15 minutes from downtown. It's an easy commute.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: extended stay

I think Reserve Square downtown might do short-term leases. We have summer interns who sometimes snag housing there (high-rise apt near everything downtown). No knowledge of Ohio City hotels, leases, etc. That seems to be a tall order.

The burbs do grab most of the long-term hotels...although I've seen one only about 7 minutes from downtown off I-90 at the exit -- geez, I can't think what it's called, but someone here will know -- at the exit where The Plain Dealer printing plant is...just past Ridge heading west.

I would also try to piggy-back off of housing for Case Western Reserve students or Cleveland Clinic patients and their families. You might want to call either of those companies and see if they have a list you could tap into.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Scotland
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: extended stay

Thank you for your speedy replies!

I'm looking for something under $90 per night, I know its a tall order - especially as I'm looking to stay Downtown. I probably would consider staying in the suburbs - Downtown is my preference because my stay is more for pleasure than business, but by the look of things I may need to sacrafice location in favour of budget.

I'll certainly have a look at Reserve Square and make some enquiries about short term leasing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: extended stay

I don't know of any extended stay type places downtown. Reserve Square could be quite pricy but definitely check there.

I would like to recommend North Olmsted to you. They have a LOT of extended stay hotels - there is an Extended Stay America, a Candlewood Suites, there are about 15 "normal" hotels there which may give you a discounted rate for an extended stay, etc. These hotels are all within walking distance of the North Olmsted park & ride for our bus system, RTA (www.gcrta.org). There are flyers which run throughout the day (mostly M-F, 7-6) and could easily take you to downtown and back. It's been awhile since I lived in N.O. but I think the bus number is the 263. The 75F also goes the same route (F not X).

when my sister and her family come into town they always stay at one of the extended stay hotels out there and they've always been pleased with the price & service. I had to stay at Candlewood out there a couple of times when we had septic problems at my apartment (tree roots) and the rate was like $70.

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: extended stay

hey,

because of your budget, you're probably looking for a kitchen or kitchenette....

but if not and you're really hoping for downtown...you could land a very nice hotel for way less than $90 a night via Priceline. A 3-star downtown will run you approx $50 ($60 with tax) on Priceline...and that would put you at the Hyatt in the Old Arcade (great location wedged in between Cleveland Library and House of Blues) or the Westin near Playhouse Square. i don't think that either has a mini-fridge...but with the money you save, you could grab cheap meals out...

just a thought

Mentioned in this post
Old Arcade
Old Arcade
241 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Scotland
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: extended stay

Thanks again for your replies and please keep them coming :) I really appreciate your input on this. Normally I'm not fussy on where I stay (as long as it's clean) but this time I need to make sure that I get the right place as its too long to spend somewhere that I'm not completely happy.

I'll have a look at the suggested hotels in North Olmsted and on priceline (I'd love to stay at the Hyatt at the arcade!) to get an idea of whats available.

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
772 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: extended stay

I would get the Plain Dealer (our newspaper) and start watching the ads or place one yourself for a short term lease. You might be able to find a nice apartment or even house for a decent rate. We have a lot of snow birds who live half/half between here and Florida. Many look for housesitters while gone.

We also have tons of temporary housing opportunities around Metro/Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals due to physician trainings and such.

What are you coming up for? Not that I'm being nosey...just that this might offer insight into who might be looking for a roomate such as yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
772 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: extended stay

Also, check out www.clevelandlive.com.

Scotland
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: extended stay

Thanks Lisalala. I don't think you're being nosey : )

I currently live in the UK but my husband & I hope to emmigrate to the US within the next couple of years. During our search to find the right place to stay we came across Cleveland.

We have fallen for the city and think it would be an ideal place to live but I think it's important to visit for more than just a few days before we make any decisions. We are both in our mid 20s and Downtown living is very appealing to us, thats why my preference is to stay Downtown during our extended stay. Even though staying Downtown would be fantastic, I wouldnt rule out any other areas that are within easy commute.

Hope this bit of additional info helps you help me!

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: extended stay

Crumbs,

Your story gets more fascinating all the time. Do tell what U.S. cities (or other cities for that matter) are in the running and what in particular drew you to Cleveland. We here tend to have a lowly opinion (undeserved in my estimation) of ourselves...

Wow. If you're in your 20s, I'm not sure downtown is the best spot for you (maybe, but it depends on lifestyle). Please do consider Cleveland Heights and Tremont, too...and be more specific about what type of work you will do...what kind of money you will have (in general) and what you plan to do in your free time....

Welcome.

Mentioned in this post