We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

Going to be taking a road trip to Chicago from RI in April. On our way back we are planning on catching the Idians vs. red Sox's. we thought since we stay in the city 2 yrs ago we would try to save some money and stay outside this time. What areas should I look into? We are a family of 4. 2 adults and 2 boys 14 & 6.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

Assuming you're returning on I-80/I-90 through Ohio, stay on I-80 until exit 151 and then take I-480 east. This will provide access to most of the airport hotels.

The Hampton Inn Cleveland Airport on Tiedeman Road is one of the closest to downtown (take I-480 east to route 176 north). It's a 10-15 drive from there to Progressive Field parking. For cheaper parking, check Prospect Ave. around East 17th for the Hanna Garage and surface lots, about a 10-minute walk to Progressive Field (Prospect to Bolivar to East 9th St.).

If you wanted to drive east after the baseball game for late arrival, consider the Courtyard by Marriott in Willoughby (route 91), the Red Roof Inn in Willoughby (route 306) or the Best Western Plus (route 615) in Mentor, depending upon how much you want to spend on lodging. These hotels are located on I-90 20-30 minutes east of downtown.

If you want to try something different and stay on I-90 into downtown, check out the Cleveland Hostel, conveniently located in the Market District surrounding the West Side Market. See the last paragraph here.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-d272156/Clevel…

The Cleveland Hostel would be a 5-10 minute drive to Progressive Field. You also could reach Progressive Field by taking the Red Line rail rapid from the West 25th station to Tower City, which has a pedestrian walkway to Progressive Field. RTA day passes are $5.

The LaQuinta Airport North is across the street from the West 150th St./Puritas Red Line rail station. This station has free parking.

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
472 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

We always have some great prices on hotels in Sandusky. You could even stay at a water park here. Your boys would love it. Get that energy out before the drive home. Check out our visitors bureau at www.shoresandislands.com/. We are about an hour from Cleveland right off of I-80.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

Thanks for the ideas!

We already booked the water park for a night on the way out. Can't wait!

Danielle

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

There are quite a few hotels/motels in Independence just south of the city of Cleveland near Rockside and I-77. Go Red Sox!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

The Red Roof Inn in Independence recently has received excellent ratings from TA reviewers.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

I travel frequently for business and I used to work in the Cleveland area.

Once nice and clean area is Beechwood. They have nice restaurants, shops in a nice area, and clean hotels like the Embassy Suites, Hilton, and Courtyard Marriott. If you like Lebanese food and I am very picky since I am a great cook, try Taza's Restaurant (you won't regret it).

Hope this helped!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

Beachwood is east of downtown Cleveland and my understanding is that you'll be coming from Chicago. It's also much further from downtown than the airport hotels or even further than Independence. Most damning, there is no direct freeway access to downtown, unlike with the airport hotels and Independence.

Most of the Beachwood hotels are on I-271, 10-15 minutes south of I-90, if that's a consideration for your return trip. I would allow 25-30 minutes to get downtown from Beachwood on some very busy local roads.

An alternative from Beachwood, however, is to park at the Shaker Ave./Green Road rail rapid station park-and-ride (free parking) and ride the rapid downtown to Tower City. Beachwood is the location of northern Ohio's upscale shopping district of Beachwood Place and the adjacent Legacy Village if that is an interest.

If you're interested in shopping on your way home, check out the Grove City Premium Outlets at the intersection of I-80 and I-79 in Pennsylvania, which has no sales tax on clothing.

If you want to use the rail rapid, consider buying day passes or other fare cards online. The RTA dispensing machines are a pain, especially for first-time users.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s303/Cleveland…

Cleveland, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

Holiday inn on Crocker road in west lake Ohio is pretty nice.

Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

Westlake also has a Hampton Inn and several Marriott-branded hotels near I-90. Wes

Huron, Ohio
Level Contributor
539 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay out side of Cleveland?

I would say either one of the water parks I Sandusky or Westlake...Crocker Park is very nice and not out of the way.... beechwood or independence are going out of your way