We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating at th Westside Market

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rochester,ny
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Eating at th Westside Market

Will be in Cleveland this Sun.-Mon. and want to visit the Westside Market. I'm not clear from the website but can you actually sit down and eat lunch at many or most of the vendors listed ? When you check the vendor info button most only talk about their wholesale/retail business. I don't see breakfast or lunch menus listed. I know the place in Philly similar to this has a lot of stands that serve lunch and a center courtyard of tables to eat it on. Is this the same?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating at th Westside Market

There's a cafe inside the market:

http://www.westsidemarketcafe.com/

You really can't eat on the market floor, there aren't any sitting or dining facilities that I'm aware of, and anything ready-too-eat that you buy you'd have to eat on the run, as it were. It's fun and fascinating but primarily a food market - produce, meat, fish, bakery, etc - and not like a food court type of place.

But there are a ton of restaurants near the market in Ohio City, so you don't really need to eat in the market itself:

urbanspoon.com/n/…Ohio-City-restaurants

By the way, the market is closed on Sunday, so your day for seeing it would have to be Monday.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating at th Westside Market

There's a small balcony area with seating above the market's main entrance off West 25th St. There's also a small park across West 25th St. from the market where you could eat in good weather. The market is only open 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Mondays.

The best option in good weather is buy your goodies at the market and then drive a short distance to Wendy Park on Whiskey Island or a little further to Edgewater Park.

http://planning.co.cuyahoga.oh.us/whiskey/

…state.oh.us/parks/…Default.aspx

Wendy Park can be especially spectacular if you luck out and see some lake freighters in action, not an uncommon event. If you do some searching, you can find scheduled arrivals and departures from the Cleveland harbor.

Cleveland, OH
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
404 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating at th Westside Market

If you choose to eat at the market, you can either go up to the balcony as mentioned above or sit outside (weather permitting) on the benches in the alley between the fruit/vegetable vendors and the indoor market hall. There's also a small public park that was recently redesigned right across the street from the market at W. 25/Lorain. My personal favorites at the market are Frank's bratwurst (on hard roll, with kraut, and stadium mustard) or a gyro from Steve's. There's also a nice Cambodian food stand right near the Westside Market Cafe. There are several other options for food you can purchase and eat (try a smoky, hunk of Amish cheese, and pretzel roll (available from several stands) followed by a fresh apple fritter--yummy!).

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating at th Westside Market

Maha's in a separate small room near an exit in the northeast corner of the main building reportedly serves the best falafel in Cleveland.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating at th Westside Market

Maha's does have the best falafel sandwich, ever. Frank's bratwurst is also very good. The food is take and eat while you walk and shop. There is a small cafe/diner in the corner of the market that has sit down/table service.

Ohio
Level Contributor
287 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating at th Westside Market

Going to give another vote for Maha's falafel. I've eaten quite a bit of falafel, and Maha's is THE BEST. Cleveland or otherwise. Not a real spot to stop and eat it, but the park across the street from the market on W. 25th would probably be easiest. So delish!

I ate my last one in the car, and I made a pretty decent mess!

rochester,ny
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating at th Westside Market

Thanks for all the responses, I got hungery just reading them. Buying food and taking it to a park sounds like a good idea. Right now it looks like the weather will be OK

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating at th Westside Market

Lukesmom,

Had you seen this travel article about the West Side Market?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-d272156/Clevel…

Enjoy your trip to the Ohio north coast!

9. Re: Eating at th Westside Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 16, 2013