We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

My husband and I will be staying at The Glidden House in University Circle for a night and then downtown at the Hampton for a few to wrap up our trip. I am trying to put together an itinerary for us and I have the activities down but the places to eat are stumping me. Sooo many choices!

Here is a list and obviously we cant go to them all so if anyone cares to help, I would appreciate it! Any extra special ones on here?

In no particular order-

L'Albatros

Etna

Michaelangelos

Momocho

Moxie

Mortons

Flying Fig

Greenhouse Tavern

Blue Point Grille

Slymans

Luckys Cafe

Sokolowskis

Fat Cats

Parallax

Lola

Lolita

Crop Bistro

WSM- Steves Gyros, Franks

Melt - Lakewood

MANY THANKS! Cant wait to see Cleveland (:

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

What cuisine do you like?

L'Albatros is a favorite immediately in University Circle. The patio there is very nice, but personally, the patio is too dark for me after dusk.

Other personal favorites on your list are Momocho, Blue Point Grille, Crop and Sokolowski's. All are very different.

Greater Cleveland has a plethora of Italian restaurants, so I usually look for something else when dining downtown. The TA reviews are very good resource when selecting restaurants, but Presti's in Little Italy is my favorite for baked goodies!

Missing from your list are the Balaton, a must if you like Hungarian (the best wiener schnitzel and spaetzle in Cleveland IMO), and Fire, both in Shaker Square which you can reach by rail rapid from Tower City, or drive to from University Circle. If interested, PM me for directions and parking.

Maha's at the WSM serves up Cleveland's best falafel, but it's in a separate room in the northeast corner of the market, next to a fish stand. Maha's has a separate restaurant as well. Nate's Deli near the WSM also is very good.

Good dining!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

Thank you!

We enjoy pretty much anything, but not familiar with Indian type foods.

I am thinking of Blue Point or Crop one night, Momocho another...arghh!

Thank you very much and I may pm you with more questions soon (:

I have heard Balaton over Serles? And yes we will be frequenting the baked goodies at Prestis when we are in LI. Corned beef sammies at Slymans? My hubby loves them...

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

I haven't been to Sterles in many years, but get to the Balaton 3-4 times a year, and would visit more often if I lived closer. However, if you like to polka and will be visiting Cleveland on the weekend, Sterles is tough to beat. Saw this article in the PD today and may have to check out Sterles' new management's changes, especially the Thursday night special. The Balaton is a more charming restaurant, and the regular portions are huge, but if you've never been to Sterle's, it's definitely worth checking out.

cleveland.com/dining/index.ssf/2012/08/sterl…

Slymans' corned beef is tops, but it's closed on weekends. I always get take-out.

Falafel is Middle Eastern.

Your ID says you're from the Cleveland area. If that's accurate, hopefully you can check out more of the restaurants in the future. The Blue Point Grille doesn't have a patio. The new Crop location may not have one either (I haven't been there yet). Momocho's patio greatly adds to its capacity, making it easier to get a seating. So you might want to save either Crop or the Blue Point Grille for a month with more adverse weather.

Crop is very near the WSM, so it's convenient to combine dining there with a visit to the WSM, if you can resist eating at the WSM stands!

A reservation is a good idea at all three, and likely most of the restaurants on your list.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

My ID is a bit misleading but Cleveland is the nearest largest city to where I am. Looking forward to the trip!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

I'm not a native Clevelander, so I can't say that I have a list, necessarily. But, I have to put in a plug for Anthony's in Little Italy. Great pastas, fresh and unique bruschetta, and the best gelato on the planet. I know it wasn't on the list in the original post, but it's worth a look.

ohio
Level Contributor
426 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

L'Albatros is a perfect choice while at the Glidden House. If you like music walk over to the Barking Spider afterwards. http://www.barkingspidertavern.com

Along that line, Nightown on Cedar Rd not far from University Circle can be an option for dinner as well. I hear their patio is great. http://nighttowncleveland.com

Another place I'd add to your list is Pier W in Lakewood. Really the only restaurant in Cleveland that has a superb lake view. http://www.selectrestaurants.com/pier/

I'd move Fat Cats further up in ranking on your list. :)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

As a very late update- Cleveland is a fantastic city.

After staying only a few days I now feel compelled to defend it to anyone wanting to put it down.

Both The Glidden House and the Hampton Inn were great hotels. Everyone we encountered was friendly from staff to just civilians on the street. Downtown was super clean and we felt very safe even at night walking around. Police presence was high nearly everywhere.

The botanical gardens, zoo, art museum, natural history museum, Little Italy,WSM and every other activity we did was an enjoyable experience. And of course every single place we ate was EXCELLANT!

L'Albatross

Melt

Blue Point

Corbo's

Presti's

Anthony's

Steves Gyros- Id gladly stand in line for 1 hour again!

Yummmmmmmm

Love ya Cleveland!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

Kris,

Thanks for your trip report. I'm glad you had a great time in Cleveland.

TE

9. Re: Clevelands Best Restaurants, put your favorites in order....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 13, 2014