We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sterle's Slovenian Country House

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Sterle's Slovenian Country House

I will be in Cleveland for my beautiful niece's wedding in a couple of weeks. We will be wining and dining all weekend long at some really spectacular places. We arrive a day early and were thinking of trying something different (no Italian or 5 star as the rest of the weekend will be spent enjoying Italian and/or 5 star food and venues). We love German food and a kitschy, casual atmosphere. We saw Sterle's profiled on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. What do the locals on this forum think about it? Is it fun? Is the food good? I have read the reviews of it on Tripadvisor and Yelp and it sounds fun. Looking for info from all of you. Thanks, Moms

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sterle's Slovenian Country House

If you go when they have a polka band, Sterle's definitely is an throwback ethnic experience.

IMO, the food's OK, but if you want great wienerschnitzel, paprikash, etc., head to the Balaton at Shaker Square, one of Cleveland's "A-list" restaurants as determined by the region's dominant newspaper, the Plain Dealer. It's Cleveland's best Hungarian restaurant and is a charming restaurant in an historic retail center. Entree portions are huge, so get the small wienerschnitzel if you don't want leftovers.

You can easily reach the Balaton from Tower City on the rail rapid to Shaker Square, or it's an easy drive from University Circle (south on Stokes Blvd. to east on Fairhill to south on N. Moreland).

Free parking for the Balaton is behind the northeast quadrant (CVS store). There's an enclosed walkway next to the CVS drive-through from the parking lot to Shaker Square. A visit to the Balaton also is chance to explore one of the most historic shopping centers built in the U.S. There are several other A-list restaurants on Shaker Square, including Fire and Sergio's Sarava.

www.shakersquare.net/map-directions.htm

http://www.shakersquare.net/about.htm

http://www.shakersquare.net/history/index.htm

Shaker Square, Tower City and Shaker Heights, all are the legacy of the Vans, Cleveland's legendary developers of the early 20th century.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Sweringen_brothers

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_City_Center

Before or after dining at the Balaton, explore Shaker Heights, one of America's earliest and best planned communities (since eclipsed in prestige in Greater Cleveland by residential meccas such as Hunting Valley), and also the hometown of the likes of Paul Newman and Roger Penske. If you take the rapid, just continue down Shaker Blvd. to the rapid's terminus (RTA day passes are $5 for adults). If you drive, also explore at least North and South Park.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaker_Heights,_Ohio

Cleveland's famed ethnic restaurant, often featured on the cable food networks, is Sokolowski's University Inn, a Polish cafeteria that is one of Cleveland's oldest remaining ethnic restaurants, sitting across Cuyahoga River from downtown in the Tremont neighborhood.

Perhaps the most beautiful restaurant in Cleveland is Rockefeller's in Cleveland Heights, not far from University Circle. Added to the restaurant A-list this year, this restaurant is located in the former Cleveland headquarters of John D. Rockefeller, Jr., back when the Rockefellers retained strong ties to Cleveland (John D. Rockefeller is buried at the spectacular Lakeview Cemetery).

cleveland.com/top-restaurants/index.ssf/2012…

http://rockefellers-restaurant.com/

…about.com/od/…rockefeller.htm

http://ech.cwru.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=RB

Definitely take the time to walk through The Arcade, now a Hyatt Hotel located between Superior and Euclid Avenues. It's the preeminent Rockefeller architectural legacy in Cleveland, and one of the nation's gems.

clevelandskyscrapers.com/cleveland/arcade.ht…

If you like cocktails and jazz (after 9 p.m.) in a speakeasy atmosphere, check out the Velvet Tango Room in Tremont (use a GPS because there is no sign). Cocktails are superb (albeit $15 plus, but there is no cover charge). The Velvet Tango Room often considered among the best cocktail lounges in the U.S.

…nytimes.com/2009/09/20/travel/20hours.html

Best wishes for a great wedding visit to Cleveland!

Edited: 10:15 am, May 15, 2012
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sterle's Slovenian Country House

Perfect! We are staying in the University City area and the reception is in Shaker Heights. Hungarian food, in particular goulash, is my 16 year old son's favorite food in the world. Last night he and my husband made it for dinner with paprika my husband recently brought back from Budapest. Thanks again for the great Ohio food recommendations, Trans. With my daughter heading to Ohio State in the fall and my niece settled in Cleveland, I know I will be spending more time there and needing dining advice! Moms

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sterle's Slovenian Country House

Sorry, his favorite is paprikash, I stand corrected. He made it with smoked paprika last night instead of sweet. He and my husband also made homemade spaetzle noodles. So delicious! He will be thrilled with this restaurant!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sterle's Slovenian Country House

The spaetzle is mouthwatering at the Balaton. I'm a schnitzel fan, but I've had Balaton's paprikash (they offer both chicken and veal) as part of its combination platter and it's very good, but I have no perspective as to its relative excellence, but I'm told by others that it's superb. I greatly prefer the wienerschnitzel! LOL.

If you go to the Balaton, IMO definitely try the beet salad.

BTW, early October is a great time to visit Greater Cleveland if you like Leaf Turns. Check out Holden Arboretum in Kirtland, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Lakeview Cemetery, etc.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sterle's Slovenian Country House

Thanks for the info. We are heading to OSU the last weekend in September then up to East Lansing for the OSU v. MSU game. DH and I are alums of MSU so with DD attending OSU, we want to see the game. This is the only time the two teams will play each other during the duration of her 4 year college career.

We are going to be in Columbus from July 1 to July 3. Do you have any recommendations of resorts on Lake Erie or in southwestern Ohio that would be fun for the remainder of the week. We aren't interested in the crowds of Cedar Point. Looking for a more laid back experience. Moms

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sterle's Slovenian Country House

Hi, another vote to skip Sterle's and go to Balaton.

Check out the Ohio State Park system's resorts. Some of them are really beautiful and I know there's one up around that area, I think it's Maumee Bay:

http://www.maumeebaystateparklodge.com/

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sterle's Slovenian Country House

Can't help you with southwestern Ohio, perhaps post on the Dayton or even Columbus forums, but you might want to check out the Hocking Hills, southeast of Columbus, a favorite destination in Ohio for laid-back, romantic respites.

http://hockinghills.com/

In northwestern Ohio, consider Kelleys Island, ranked a few years ago by cnn.com as one of the most romantic island escapes in the world. You could take the day ferry from Kelleys Island to explore Put-in-Bay, the Key West of the north coast, on South Bass island, not far from Kelleys.

…cnn.com/2009/…index.html

Definitely consider Ohio Amish country, if you want a laid-back vacation with many nearby attractions, or even the Mohican region east of Mansfield, especially if you like hiking, canoeing, boating, etc.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50940-i266-k54062…

On the Sandusky forum, hotels, etc., you might check out the Sawmill Creek resort.

Good planning!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sterle's Slovenian Country House

See post 8 here, but the beaches likely will be unsupervised and the water will be more chilly in late September.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50940-i266-k52625…

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sterle's Slovenian Country House

There is also a state park resort at Mohican. Seriously, the lodges are really nice. The food is sort of meh but other than that, they are great places to stay.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sterle's Slovenian Country House

The Mohican State Park Lodge isn't too far from the Malabar Farm Restaurant, a locavore restaurant which is associated with the Malabar Farm State Park. Mohican State Park also has cottages.

http://www.malabarfarmrestaurant.com/

The restaurant is in the former Malabar Inn, a National Historic Landmark built in 1820 to serve a north/south stagecoach route. BTW, check out the Worthington Inn in the following link, a Columbus-area landmark.

ohioruralelectric.coop/magazines/country-liv…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g50839-d22…

There are also Ohio state park lodges in southwest Ohio, but I'm not familiar with them.

…state.oh.us/parks/…Default.aspx

…state.oh.us/parks/…Default.aspx

http://www.ohiostateparklodges.com/

Ohio's National Natural Landmarks:

www.nature.nps.gov/nnl/state.cfm?State=OH