We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

Can anyone recommend a couple of restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn? My family (includes two teenage boys) will be arriving this Saturday, April 1st, for a few nights. I saw someone mention Alice Cooperstown. Recommended? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
cleveland
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

Cooperstown is pretty good, it's your standard bar and grill food.

Juniper Grill is just a little to the east on Carnegie and it serves breakfast until 3 on sat. It is very good and moderately priced.

Next to Cooperstown is the New York Spaghetti House which is also fairly good.

My favorite neighborhood place is the Winking Lizard. It's on the corner of prospect and east 9th which is about a 5 min walk. The food is great and cheap. Also, the atmosphere is pretty cool since they have a lot of Cleveland sports memorabilia.

If you are willing to walk a little further (10 min or so), East 4th street has a house of blues restaurant, an Irish pub as well as a couple of other places. HOB is a little pricey but it's worth a visit.

Also on the corner of prospect and Ontario (2 blocks west of east 4th) is Fat Fish Blue. They serve Cajun food and have live blues music at night.

The tower city center has the Hard Rock cafe along with some upscale places (15 min walk). Hard Rock it kind of a tourist trap but it's still worth going to.

Mentioned in this post
Winking Lizard Tavern
Winking Lizard Tavern
537 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland Heights...
Level Contributor
196 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

Will you have a car? What places are you planning to see - I can give you some ideas once I know what parts of town you will be in.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

We will have a car. We are staying in Cleveland and driving to different sites such as the NFL Hall of Fame, the Amish region, and Niagara Falls. Mainly looking for something to occupy us Saturday late afternoon and early evening. We will also be visiting the Rock HOF on Tuesday and seeing the Cavs play Tuesday night.

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

I've been to Cooperstown twice and wasn't impressed.

Flannery's is nearby, they are an irish pub and they serve food. I second the recommendation for Juniper but I think they're only open for breakfast and lunch. Pickwick & Frolic is a nightclub that has a separate dining-only area, their food is very good. We also have a House of Blues, casual dining with a bit of a southern/bayou flair on the menu. Pickwick and HOB are on E 4th, Flannery's is at the S end of E 4th on Huron.

On the other side of 4th is a good restaurant called Vivo.

If you're cabbing it, go to the Cleveland Chophouse, which is only about 2 mins away, but a little far to walk.

Mentioned in this post
The Cleveland Hostel
The Cleveland Hostel
103 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

Thanks for the suggestions. We are not interested in cajun food as we are from Louisiana and eat that all the time! More interested in the "local" feel in the downtown area.

Cleveland Heights...
Level Contributor
196 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

For a good casual "local" meal the Winking Lizard is a good idea as stated above, Flannery's is solid. Hard Rock - meh - average food and not local.

Since you have a car, you might want to explore a part of Cleveland Hts.(suburb next to Cleveland) called Coventry, it's a street full of interesting shops and restaurants (including a Winking Lizard) and a very cool place called Tommy's - the BEST milkshakes in the city!. It's a 10 minute drive from your hotel and you can park in a parking garage in the middle of it all. Very artsy kind of area, your teens will probably like looking at a store called Big Fun, it specializes in vintage toys/games/collectibles from the 60's to today, something for everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Winking Lizard Tavern
Winking Lizard Tavern
537 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland Heights...
Level Contributor
196 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

oops! forgot to add - if you go to Coventry, make sure that you load up the parking meter w/quarters and don't let it run out - while it's a great place to hang out, the CH police WILL give you an unexpected "souvineer" in the form of a parking ticket if they spot an expired meter. Look for the long term meters (up to 6 hours).

Cleveland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

Hello Bossier City, Been there many times as my wife is from nearby Magnolia Arkansas. Follow the crowd below and to to Winking Lizard. Also, a bit further down but close is Fat Fish Blue which is a very good cajin joint for Cleveland. You might feel more at home and the Blues ain't bad.

Mentioned in this post
Winking Lizard Tavern
Winking Lizard Tavern
537 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

Sorry, just saw your post about not wanting cajin. But for the local feel get the wings at the winking lizard. Wings are what Cleveland is made of. Buffalo named em, Cleveland perfected em.

Maybe not great for the teenagers, but you also should try the Great Lakes Brewery for a meal and a beer. Their Dortmunder is in a class all its own.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown restaurants near Hilton Garden Inn

Welcome to Cleveland. We're chok-full of fine dining options, but I'll give you a list of Cleveland flavor and favorites.

a) I second the previous poster's recommendation for Great Lakes Brewery (just across a bridge from downtown). Rated one of best in country and has been around long before brew trend started. Homemade rootbeer for the underage. Nice brew sampling platter for the grown-ups.

b) Don't miss a gem across the street (lorain): The West Side Market. Cleveland still boasts a thriving open-air market crammed with fresh fruits and meats and goodies. You can grab a pierogie or a brat here and snack on some other things.

c) If you like corned beef, don't miss Slyman's. This is nothing fancy, but the sandwiches are guaranteed to blow you away. Inexpensive, too. Just blocks from downtown. 3106 Saint Clair Ave.

d) If you like fried things, check out the Town Fryer downtown 3859 Superior E. They fry everything, from traditional chicken to mac and cheese.

e) Head to Little Italy for Italian and get doughnuts from Presti's bakery there. 12101 Mayfield (just 5 minutes from downtown). If you're hungry for food, check Gusto! or go cheap and family at Mama Santa's

f) Back downtown: For wings/burgers--Winking Lizard. Sushi from Sushi Rocks. For fun and food, Pickwick and Frolick (large restaurant with separate comedy club...do this early or it's clubby).

Mentioned in this post
West Side Market
West Side Market
3,747 Reviews
Cleveland, OH