We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cleveland Clinic Lodging

Walled Lake...
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cleveland Clinic Lodging

From what I have read on the forums, it sounds like the neighborhood surrounding Cleveland Clinic is not very good. It sounds like we would be better off staying in the downtown area, though some reviews I have read there are rather scary also. I'm going to the Clinic for testing. We will be arriving after 9pm at night and be in appts/testing the entire next day. So I obviously don't want to spend an arm and a leg on lodging/parking.

Any suggestions for lodging on a budget that doesn't sacrifice safety? I got Clinic rates for the Wyndam Playhouse Square quoted at $84/nite but they also charge an additional $20 for parking. And she advised me that the shuttle may be full.

Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cleveland Clinic Lodging

The Clinic is a huge campus - a city in and of itself some say. It is safe and has its own police force. A lot of people consider it as being downtown, although I suppose it is slightly east. If you want one of the two hotels on the Clinic campus you will have access to free Clinic shuttles, but the hotel room rates are higher - they are safe though. These hotels are the InterContinental and the InterContinental Suites (cheaper).

The Wyndham would have been my downtown hotel recommendation. It's in a nice safe area. Most of the hotels have high parking fees also. You could look up the rates on the newly renovated DoubleTree on Carnegie. It is a bit more east of the Clinic campus near Case Western Reserve/University Circle.

If you stay in a hotel on Euclid Avenue (like the Wyndham or Hyatt) however you will not need to drive from the hotel to the Clinic or take a shuttle. You can take public transportation for cheap - the HealthLine bus. Transit police patrol it and it is safe during normal hours. It is a busy line and well used by business people and students with peak times being rush hour and mid afternoon when a lot of classes let out at the local university. Hotels along this bus line are those at Public Square as well such as the renaissance.

Walled Lake...
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cleveland Clinic Lodging

Thanks for the info.....it makes me feel a lot better about the trip!

What are considered "normal" hours on the HealthLine bus?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cleveland Clinic Lodging

The Healthline runs 24/7, but at more frequent intervals during business/daylight hours.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s303/Cleveland…

The Doubletree Lakeside also offers special packages for Clinic patients and free shuttles to the Clinic. It's in a safe neighborhood, but there's little in the immediate neighborhood that would lure you outside the hotel. However, the Doubletree shuttles will take you anywhere downtown. Unlike the Wyndham, the Doubletree has a good, attached parking garage.

If you have a car and can drive, and are reasonably fit, you can drive to the Clinic. There are very large and reasonably priced garages connected to Clinic buildings either by excellent skyways or tunnels. Check the Clinic website or call the Clinic to find the address of the garage closest to your testing site. The Clinic is huge but it is well staffed with guides.

If you tell us where you're driving from, we could suggest suburban hotels along you're route if you're willing to drive to the Clinic. Most of the suburban hotels would not charge for parking.

If you're flying and renting a car, let us know, because there are some alternatives even at 9 p.m. that might eliminate the need to rent a car. These would take advantage of Cleveland's rail rapid system.

BTW, you got a very good rate for the Wyndham. I would call back and ask what they meant by the Clinic shuttle possibly being full. Ask if you can make shuttle reservations at the time you reserve a room. None of the reviews I've ever read of the Wyndham complained of problems with shuttle availability. The Wyndham shuttle also will take you anywhere within five miles of the hotel. There's an RTA Healthline station immediately in front of the Wyndham. RTA day passes are $5, less if you're over 65.

Good luck with your Clinic visit!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cleveland Clinic Lodging

I would totally stay downtown if you're trying to save money and not stay at the Inter Continental, which is the hotel on the Clinic's campus. It's perfectly safe and there are a lot of decent choices, and you can take the healthline there as mentioned previously. I've done it for my own tests and doctor visits, I work downtown and have for over 20 years.

Try the Holiday Inn Express, the Crowne, the Residence Inn and the Hyatt for a little less expensive rate. All the downtown hotels charge for overnight parking, so take that into account while you consider the price at the inter continental.

Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cleveland Clinic Lodging

By normal hours I meant definitely from rush hour to rush hour. It does run all night, though as mentioned less frequently. I personally would probably ride it until 9 or so.....

Walled Lake...
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cleveland Clinic Lodging

We would not be opposed to staying in a suburban hotel since we will be arriving so late, we will not have time to enjoy anything downtown anyway. We are driving from the Metro Detroit area - so would appreciate any lodging suggestions outside of the city.

Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cleveland Clinic Lodging

The western suburbs would make a great choice.

I am assuming you will be traveling towards Cleveland on a combination of 80E (toll), 480E, 71N, 90E...... The first suburb you will come to is N. Olmsted, just west of the airport.

In these suburban hotels parking will be free. You most likely won't get Clinic discounts, but the rates should be cheaper than downtown. The areas are very safe too.

I specifically recommend things around the Great Northern Mall area. There will be plenty of food options around the mall too as your hotel won't have a large restaurant like the downtown ones do.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g50777-d101717-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g50777-d122188-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g50777-d95480-R…

You really can't go wrong - my only suggestion would be to stay away from Brookpark Rd. hotels. Also the hotels right at the airport aren't that nice.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cleveland Clinic Lodging

Westlake offers a number of lodging options, and Crocker Park if you want some place to go after arriving. The disadvantage is that you might run into rush hour traffic if you have to be at the Clinic early. I'm not familiar with the I-90 rush hour, but it probably ends by 8:30 a.m. You can reach I-90 from either Route 2 or I-80.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g51139-Westlake_Ohio-…

http://www.crockerpark.com/tenant/dining/

Another option is to take I-80 to route I-480 to I-71, and approach Cleveland from the South. If you get off at West 150th, there are three airport hotels -- the Marriott, Holiday Inn and the LaQuinta. They all are very close to the West 150-Puritas park 'n ride rail station, where parking is free.

If you stayed at the LaQuinta, you should be able to leave your car at the LaQuinta and walk to the station, as they allow persons with flights to leave their cars there during their travel. I suspect all three of these airport hotels would allow you to leave your car in their parking lots, even after you check out. They also would likely shuttle you to and from the rapid station, if you wanted that option rather than driving to the rapid station. You'll have to check with the hotels. The parking lot for the station is very large, but I don't know if or when it fills up on a weekday.

You could take the rail rapid to Tower City, then walk to Public Square where you would catch the Healthline to the Clinic. If you use RTA, buy RTA day passes -- $5 or $2.50 for seniors over 65.

The W. 150th St. hotels would be closer to the Clinic than Westlake or North Olmsted if you wanted to drive to the Clinic. The LaQuinta Airport is highly rated by TA reviewers, greatly for its value.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g50207-d101731-…

Driving to the Clinic, I-71 north turns into I-90E. Exit at either Carnegie or Chester depending upon the location of the Clinic garage where you're heading.

Whether you drive or take RTA, I would allow at least 90 minutes, perhaps even two hours to find your destination at the Clinic, especially if you've never been to the Clinic before and don't know exactly where you're going.

Good luck!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cleveland Clinic Lodging

The rail rapid should take 20 minutes from W. 150th to Tower City. The Healthline should take another 20 minutes, or less, from Tower City to the Clinic. You would need to allow time to catch the train and the Healthline bus rapid, and to navigate the Clinic complex.

The drive to the Clinic from W. 150th St. should be less than 40 minutes, but could be more depending upon traffic.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cleveland Clinic Lodging

The West 150th St. exit off I-71 is just east of the airport.