We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trader Joe's

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trader Joe's

According to Trader Joe's website, there are several stores in the Cleveland area. I've never been to any of them - is one better than the others?

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trader Joe's

Hi,

I always go to the one at Eaton. Lots of traffic there and excellent staff. It's also wedged between an excellent Barnes and Noble and an Anthropologie (and Sur la Table). If you're making a wine trip (we make Ikea trips to Pittsburgh), you may want to call ahead. Sometimes the 2-buck Chuck or the 4-buck Fred (napa) run low. I've never seen Chuck low, but haven't seen Fred lately.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trader Joe's

Thanks for the reply. I just moved to Pittsburgh (after living in CA for years) and miss Trader Joe's something fierce!

One more question: what are wine prices like in Ohio? I've heard that the state charges a hefty markup (though probably nothing like the ridiculous amount PA tacks on).

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trader Joe's

I go to the TJ in Westlake. Both that one at the one at Eton are very crowded all the time, which can be really annoying. Best thing is to visit first thing when they open or towards the end of their business day - the one in Crocker Park in Westlake is open til 9. It's slightly smaller than the Eton store but they stock the same stuff.

Living here you get used to the wine prices and they don't seem so much. You can get a lot of decent, drink-now table wines for $10 and under a bottle. A case of 2 Buck Chuck is $40 TJ's, by the way.

Not sure what you regularly drink but stuff like Yellow Tail, Straccali, Mondavi, BV Coastal, all can be had for $10 or under a bottle at the grocery. It's at restaurants where the wine seems outrageous. Hard to get a decent glass for less than $8 or a decent bottle for less than $24, which is the same wine I'd buy for $10 in the store.

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trader Joe's

Wine prices in Ohio are outrageous. $2-buck chuck is $3.39 a bottle here...to give you some indication.

there's a bitter battle being waged now between consumers and ohio liquor lobby. and there's a court case the upholds Ohioans rights to ship wine into Ohio. for expensive wine, order on line.