We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly moving to Cleveland...any idea on what I can...

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Possibly moving to Cleveland...any idea on what I can...

Hi, there is a chance I may be moving to Cleveland, I have never been and I'm coming from the Pacific North West. I'm in my mid 20s and work full time, what can I expect when I move there? Where is the trendy neighbourhood with others around my same age living the single life. Are the suburbs the place to be? Or is it downtown? Would appreciate any help.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibly moving to Cleveland...any idea on what I can...

Lots of tough questions!! Please read the other posts on this forum about living in Cleveland. Cleveland is a big sports town, we have the Cleveland Browns (football), Cleveland Indians (baseball) and the Cavaliers (basketball). There really isn't one particular area where young people live. Some live in the suburbs, like Rocky River or Westlake (west side) or Solon, Beachwood, Mayfield, (east Side). Lots of young people now live in the Tremont area - very close to downtown and on the west side, and many students live in "Littel Italy" / University Circle area and attend Case Western Reserve University. I would say that Cleveland is a more family oriented town - lots of young families are here.

Visit www.cleveland.com, www.coolcleveland.com and wwww.pluggedincleveland.com for information on night life, bars, etc.

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibly moving to Cleveland...any idea on what I can...

Hey,

Welcome. I'm in my late 30s...grew up about 50 miles to the south, but spent most of my 20s in Cincinnati and Research Triangle in North Carolina. Where to live depends largely on your background and what you're going to do here. Also, do you plan to rent or buy. And what's your income level?

Your Vancouver money will go far in Cleveland. Without knowing anything about you, I'd look at downtown (hipster lofts with more on the way), nearby Tremont (gentrifying old neighborhood), neighboring Ohio City (similar to Tremont), Little Italy (pricey)and Lakewood (lots of old houses divided into two...)and Cleveland Heights (same).

Those are all city...except Lakewood and Cleveland heights...which bump up against the city. These are mixed-race, mixed-income neighborhoods. Great nightlife.

If you're low risk and want to be near shopping, you'll need to head farther outside the city. I'm sure there are singles in the suburbs, but none comes to mind as a particular hot spot.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibly moving to Cleveland...any idea on what I can...

My husband and I enjoy living in Ohio City, which has more of a "neighborhood" feel to it than Tremont or the Warehouse District (downtown), which were the other two neighborhoods we looked into. We like being able to walk to restaurants and bars, and we have a grocery store and a wonderful municipal market (West Side Market). Cleveland Heights is also a pretty popular suburb for young professional types, but we didn't want to live in the 'burbs.

Cleveland Heights...
Level Contributor
196 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibly moving to Cleveland...any idea on what I can...

My 2 cents - I live in Cleveland Heights (east side), which has many restaurants and interesting shopping/cultural areas, and is only 15 minutes from downtown Cleveland. LOTS of apartments, usually older but well kept up (Cleve.Hts. building inspectors are TOUGH!). Cle. Hts. is a diverse community, with many different ethnicities/cultures/religions, kind of like a mini-NYC.

If you prefer "newer" apartments, you'll need to go to the farther out burbs, or check out the refurbished apts/condos in downtown.

Your choice of what part of the city to live in will probably be determined by where your job is...if the job is on the west side of Cleveland you may like Lakewood (very similar to Cle. Hts.), or Rocky River. No matter where you end up in the Cleveland area, you'll want to visit Cle. Hts., for the following areas: Coventry, Cedar-Lee, and Cain Park (a public park that has summertime performances of local theater and nationally known performers, also a large art festival.

My advice is to visit for at least a few days and drive all around to figure out where you will be comfortable.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Possibly moving to Cleveland...any idea on what I can...

i grow up on the eastside so, i love cleveland hts. however, i know a lot of people in tremont and i love it there also. the tremont area is in the process of rebuilding, and adding townhouses/condos and stuff. but, the bars are really cool, and it is a short cab ride to downtown. it is an area where you get to know the people in the area. like i said i know a lot of people in tremont, but it started with only one, but when you hangout a lot you get to know the people, it's a good time! at the same time, i also have good times in Ohio City, and University Circle.

Good Luck!