We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mom-and-pop motels?

Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
mom-and-pop motels?

My husband, teenage son and I are driving to Cleveland for a few days during spring break, to visit the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame and also the house from "A Christmas Story."

Any suggestions for less expensive, non-chain motels? I can find several listed, but no reviews--for example, a bunch along Pearl Road (Colony, La Siesta, Metrick's, Pike View) and others on Euclid Avenue (American, Euclid, Noble).

Looking for the usual: a place that's clean, and a safe neighborhood.

Thanks for your help!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mom-and-pop motels?

Cleveland has mostly chain hotels, or some bed and breakfasts places that could work. Did you need to stay close to downtown?? If not, try the Westlake area - very clean upscale area with a large shopping and restaurant plaza called Crocker Park. There is a Hampton Inn located at 29690 Detroit Avenue in Westlake - if you google Hotels in Westlake, it comes up with 11 very nice reviews.

Westlake is located west of Cleveland near the I-90 highway.

Strongsville is another nice area located off the I-71 and Route 82. They also have a large shopping area, and several hotels.

You could try the Emerald Necklace Inn at www.emeraldnecklaceinn.com

Try the website www.pubcrawler.com for other information on Cleveland. They list hotels and bed & breakfast places.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,258 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mom-and-pop motels?

Try bedandbreakfast.com you might find something you like there.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mom-and-pop motels?

The western suburbs (Westlake, Strongsville, North Olmsted) are much safer than Euclid Avenue.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mom-and-pop motels?

The motels you've listed, at least the ones I know, are pretty scary/dumpy looking. I've never been there myself, but they are pretty near the highway and mostly frequented by truckers. I would not suggest staying there if I were you.

There are clean, safe chain hotels in the burbs, such as Candlewood Suites or Residence Inn which aren't too expensive which I would recommend over places like La Siesta, and Residence Inn includes breakfast.

Cleveland Heights...
Level Contributor
196 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mom-and-pop motels?

The Alcazar Hotel in Cleveland Heights might be a good fit for you. It's mainly a residence hotel but has guest rooms - it's in a landmark building with what I'd call a spanish-moroccan decor.

It's in a very safe are that is only 10 minutes away from downtown, and just a few minutes away from University Circle, which has a lot of museums - one in particular is the Western Reserve Historical Society/Crawford Auto Museum. Both museums share the same building, with MANY antique autos. If you are a Princess Diana fan, you can visit that part of the museum while your husband & son check out the autos...the Diana exhibit is an amazing collection of her personal artifacts along with her wedding gown and other important fashions she wore. There are also other exhibits that showcase Cleveland's history.

The area the Alcazar is located in is called the Cedar-Fairmount area, there are interesting restaurants nearby (Aladdin's is a great middle east style place), and some interesting shops - and if your hubbie/son are into pool there's a sports bar called Jillian's right around the corner. Just a few minutes to the east is an area called Coventry, a really fun area of more restaurants and shops, very bohemian area.

Look on TA for info on The Alcazar, I'm pretty sure there is a listing for them.

As for the other motels you mentioned, at least the ones in Cleveland, I'm not familiar with any of them - and I know the city very well.

mishawaka, in
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mom-and-pop motels?

ive stayed at la siesta was clean reminds you of one of those from the 70s off the beaten path... might also try best value inn in brookpark 50 bux a night close to airport and the expressway into downtown stayed there before also... clean big rooms .. restaurant bar in lobby... not bad for the money...

Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mom-and-pop motels?

Thanks for everyone's help.

I ended up using Priceline, getting a room at the Cleveland Airport Marriot for $53/night (including tax).

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mom-and-pop motels?

thx for the update, I think you'll enjoy that more than the motels. Have a great trip!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mom-and-pop motels?

I live a mile from that hotel. It's a safe area, and right off I-71.

10. Re: mom-and-pop motels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:31 am, August 29, 2009