We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north canton in June 2011

North Carolina
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
north canton in June 2011

I am planning a 4 night stay in North Canton and would like any ideas of things to do (that I may not have on my list already). Will be driving to Amish country, Canal Fulton, and Cleveland. Any other ideas? Will be staying at Red Roof North Canton. Also any safety issues or other things I should know? And what good restaurants should I go to?

5 replies to this topic
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: north canton in June 2011

Here's a thread that may give you some good ideas for the Canton area.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50168-i1902-k4139…

East 4th St. in Cleveland has some of the best restaurants in the Midwest, including Lola Bistro and Greenhouse Tavern. In the summer, East 4th St. is turned into a bustling pedestrian mall lined with patio restaurants. It's great fun.

http://clevelandfoodie.com/

The TA restaurant reviews are fairly accurate. Sokolowski's University Inn, if you have a GPS with you, is a favorite of cable food networks and a great place to experience classic ethnic food.

The West Side Market, open only certain days of the week, is one of the best public food markets in the U.S.

If you're visiting University Circle, L'Albatrose is one of the best restaurants in Cleveland. The Cleveland Museum of Art, one of the best in the nation and with free admission, and the Cleveland Botanical Garden, also one of the best in the nation especially when its outdoor gardens are in bloom, both are in University Circle. So is Severance Hall, one of the world's most beautiful concert halls, home of the Cleveland Orchestra, one of the best in the world.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on the lakefront, and the nearby U.S.S. Cod and Steamship Mather are other Cleveland attractions.

Read through the Cleveland forum and TA Things to Do. Here's one thread with a nested link which may prove helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50207-i345-k41721…

One of my favorite destinations in Ohio is Malabar Farm State Park, located west of Holmes County, the heart of Ohio Amish country.

http://www.bookthink.com/0078/78brom1.htm

Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens near Akron is excellent.

http://www.stanhywet.org/

Progressive Field in Cleveland is a convenient and excellent place to catch an MLB game and Akron has a beautifully intimate AA stadium.

Enjoy northeast Ohio!

Hartville, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: north canton in June 2011

If you're looking for discounts, etc for Canton area attractions and restaurants I would suggest looking at the following:

http://dailydeals.cantonrep.com/ - this is a daily deals site run by the local newspaper and you can often score 1/2 price deals for local restaurants.

http://ishopstark.com/ - you'll be able to find 1/2 price gift cards on here along with coupons.

visitcantonstark.com/Visitors/Packages-and-C… - this is the visitors bureau site and they offer some coupons as well.

Canal Fulton is really cute. The Canal Boat is always fun to ride and the two most unique things there are the Glassworks which offers glass blowing demos on Saturdays and Toys Time Forgot which is all vintage toys - like walking down memory lane. They also have a fantastic Thai restaurant if you're into Thai food - it's called V-Li's. People come from all over the region to eat there.

The area where the Red Roof is located is locally referred to as Belden Village and is the main shopping/dining area for the county. You can walk to a Bob Evans, Chick Fil A and Ruby Tuesday from the Red Roof. My parents have stayed there before when visiting and were happy with their stay.

I wouldn't be too concerned about safety in the Canton area - just use common sense - lock your doors and don't walk down a dark alley alone at night. :-)

If you have any other questions let me know! Hope you have a great vacation!

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: north canton in June 2011

OHTravelChick has very good advice!

Do not know if you are interested in football - but you can always visit the Football Hall of Fame. There is also the McKinley Museum.

In the Belden area there are plenty of restaurants. One of my favorites is Danny Boys (right by the Hall of Fame bridge)

If you have any other questions - do not hesitate to ask =)

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: north canton in June 2011

Locally owned restaurants that are excellent ...Lucia's, known for steaks and pasta....LaPizzeria is an Italian Restaurant, Both of these are close to the red Roof Inn, and then downtown Canton is the Desert Inn All very good, and not a chain.

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: north canton in June 2011

I know that this is too late for April 17 of last year, but for anyone visiting the area you may be interested in spending part of a day in the Hartville area. Hartville Hardware just opened their new store and it's HUGE! I haven't been there yet, but the reports have been fun! There is a house built inside for decorating and other ideas. Right behind it is the Hartville Marketplace. I think it's open on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. it's more than a flea market. The indoor area has established shops, produce, meat, clothing and a grill. Outside is more produce and flea market varieties. Holiday week-ends are crazy! There is a huge restaurant next door. Hartville Kitchen is a great place for a hearty meal! Always busy! Most days there are tour buses that visit all three sites. Downtown Hartville is quaint.

After visiting Hartville head east and tour the muck farms, where many vegetables are grown in unusual very black, rich soil. Interesting area! (and I'm not from Hartville!)

Edited: 12:15 am, April 20, 2012
Reply to: north canton in June 2011
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted