We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuttlefish Dive

2 posts
Save Topic
Cuttlefish Dive

I hear this dive is spectacular.

When does it run and is it suitable for children?

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuttlefish Dive

Hello.

I have dived with the cuttlefish in Whyalla and it IS spectacular. You only dive in shallow water (20ft max) and if you dive on a sunny day the colours are amazing.. Cuttlefish lay their eggs in among rocks and "float wispy" sea grasses so it's like an alien landscape. Watching the cuttlefish change their colours and texture (from maroons through to elecric blue) as they mate is unforgettable.

A few things to take into account though are..

1) it is a DIVE although shallow, you need to use your neutral buoyancy to "hover" above the cuttlefish in order to best appreciate them, you really don't need to fin much at all

2) because it's a dive children are probably not able to do it, my son has just received his PADI at 14 years and that took a lot of work so unless your children are equally qualified I am unsure if a dive operator would take the risk.

On your profile I can't see where you are from, if not a local you would have to hire your gear. One does not necessarily need a boat to get to the cuttlefish, one can access the area from the beach (if they have local knowledge) but I advise a boat

3) Water temperature is around 15-16 degrees so I advise a 7mm wetsuit or a dry suit for maximum comfort.

4) regular tours don't RUN as such, many dive groups make annual pilgrimages and there are dive operators in Whyalla who take people out.

Google Whyalla dive (whydive from memory) and inquire if you are still interested in doing it.

For divers it's truly worth doing, another great thing to cross off the list.

Edited: 2:48 am, July 12, 2010
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuttlefish Dive

Thanks - this information is great. I'm working to cross this one off my list of things I must do as well!

3. Re: Cuttlefish Dive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 11, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Whyalla
Recent Conversations