We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Cook Murray River Cruises

Noosa Heads...
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Captain Cook Murray River Cruises

I am surprised that there are no reviews for this company's cruises on the Murray River. I am looking to undertake one of their 4 night cruises and expected to read some comments on TA.

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Cook Murray River Cruises

I did find this one review buried in the 373 reviews of mostly Sydney Harbour cruises:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g255060-d…

I agree, odd that they don't have a listing specifically for Murray River (like they do for their Fiji cruises).

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Cook Murray River Cruises

I would like an opportunity to review the Captain Cook Murray River Cruise, having recently completed a seven-night cruise operated by the NZ travel company Operatunity Travel.

Toukley, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain Cook Murray River Cruises

Did the 3 night Tour on the Murray Princess. Loved it. Staff exceptional, accommodation good, meals terrific entertainment on board and tours on shore outstanding

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain Cook Murray River Cruises

I couldnt supply an unbiased review of the service, as a relative works aboard this vessel.

What I can say though is a river paddle steamer is a unique holiday in Australia, it's a beautiful river to cruise along, and this is also a very popular vessel.

Be nice to the serving staff, or I'll hear about it...lol.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain Cook Murray River Cruises

I did a seven-night cruise with the NZ travel company Operatunity Travel, who took over the whole vessel, in early November. It's a unique experience, partly because the boat itself is unlike any that you are likely to meet. Although built in the 1980s (I hope I am remembering correctly) it is in an older style. It really does have a paddle. The cabins are built for the smaller people that we all used to be. Hubby and I found that only one of us could get dressed at a time. The bathroom was modern and worked well. We had one day where temps were over 30deg, and the cabin got boiling hot in the day, but cooled down startlingly at night. The only place to sit outside and watch the world glide by is the rooftop deck, reached by the steepest set of steps imaginable short of being a ladder. Elsewhere on the boat there is an elevator between the main decks. The food was excellent. The staff were absolutely great, and they really have to work!! The same young woman who pours your breakfast coffee, later makes your bed (bunk) . The shore excursions were interesting and well-organised. The boat moors each night, often just tied up to a couple of trees, and it's so QUIET.

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain Cook Murray River Cruises

Took the 4 night Murray River cruise with Captain Cook Cruises, 12th, 13th, 14th & 15th disembarking 16th October 2015. Staff are very helpful, food is excellent, cabin cosy and clean. Off ship tours good.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain Cook Murray River Cruises

Something must have happened over the last 6 months. Took this trip last week and we were very underwhelmed. The ship needs refurbishing, the food was ordinary, the staff unhelpful, the cabins outdated and the experience overpriced. The river was great and the scenery memorable.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Captain Cook Murray River Cruises

<<Something must have happened over the last 6 months. Took this trip last week and we were very underwhelmed. The ship needs refurbishing, the food was ordinary, the staff unhelpful, the cabins outdated and the experience overpriced. The river was great and the scenery memorable.>>

UhOh.

A trip on the PS Murray Princess has been on our to-do domestic list for some time because it looked pretty good. Sounds like someone has dropped the ball :-( Did you get any response from the tour company or was that part of the staff being unhelpful?

I'm curious if you used the parking arrangements or if you used the coach, and if the included excursions any good?

Always good to know which rooms you had that were so shabby. The Staterooms are always the most roomy but the balcony rooms looked OK :-) but pics are often taken right after a refurb and not updated

Not good to hear it is overpriced. It seems to have quite a few included tours compared to river cruising I've done elsewhere, and so didn't look bad for $400/day PP :-(

Might have to ask for an on board inspection before we book

Reply to: Captain Cook Murray River Cruises
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mannum