We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

HI guys

so a few weeks after I asked for ideas for FR.

I am trying to come up with a plan and i would like some thoughts :)

Thursday evening after work... drive from Adelaide to ??? I was thinking Quorn or somewhere around there but I'm not sure how we will be feeling and I'm not familiar with the area so im not sure if somewhere else would be better.

Friday - get up early and drive from wherever to Rawnsley Park Station or Wilpena Pound (unsure of where to stay??) hopefully do a bigish walk then head back to where we are staying (walk is undecided but happy for suggestions from either RPS or WP nothing toooooo crazy, would like something with good scenery, i enjoy a bit of landscape photography)

Saturday - go on a hot air balloon ride or scenic flight and then maybe go for another walk in the afternoon or relax

sunday - go on a 4wd tour or if we take the 4wd go 4wd driving. and then relax

Monday - ???????? then go home in the afternoon

I wanted to go for a ride on a camel but apparently you are not able to, they only offer several day tours

Blinman, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

yes I agree you need to ring them for the answers and you will definitely need to book in as they are often fully booked in the caravan park. Glad to see you aregoing on a hot air balloon ride. It is magic!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Hi Sally!

We have decied to camp at wilpena pound for the first night and stay in a holiday unit at Rawnsley park for the remaining 2 nights.

Cant wait to go hot air ballooning! My husband is worried we will crash - silly boy!

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

We went camel riding in Blinman in July 2013. It was great! If you go to the mine office or general store they will tell you where to find them.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Thanks Dee!

Have since been, had a wonderful time - check out our JBR :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Hi, you mention you prefer raw slew station to wilpena pound, can I ask why as wet going there next week and not sure which one to base ourselfs at camping.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Jimsimsim... can I seuggest that you post this as a new topic?

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

This is a great thread. We are planning on coming over mid October and looking to self-drive Melbourne -> Grampians -> Adelaide -> Flinders Ranges -> Coober Pedy -> Alice Springs. then train to Darwin.

We will rent a car and are thinking about going the northern route from Flinders to Coober Pedy.

Any issues with that? Is the William Creek Road ok for normal cars? Will we be able to get around Flinders with a standard car or do we need anything special?

The park is large and getting information about the actual park seems to be difficult. For example, where exactly in the park is Wilpena Pound? If we stay in Blinman or Hawker the night before is that too far from the sites in the park?

We are very open to suggestions and the real reason that I am posting this, so please and thank you.

jon

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

This thread is likely to be lost, I do suggest posting a totally new inquiry with your personal questions rather than tack it onto an existing thread. People who are trying to help the OP tend to get sidetracked and you may not receive the attention for your question that you might like. Also, those trying to follow the original thread may find it hard to keep track of the conversation when other inquiries are added and answered along the way

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
29. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Just returned from Quorn etc.

Did a fantastic trip with Paul Keen of wallabytracks.com through Flinders.

Go to Trip Advisor to read the responses to this fabulous tour operator.Great value

Roger,Adelaide

30. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, August 19, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Flinders Ranges...
More Flinders Ranges National Park Topics