We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

HI guys

so a few weeks after I asked for ideas for FR.

I am trying to come up with a plan and i would like some thoughts :)

Thursday evening after work... drive from Adelaide to ??? I was thinking Quorn or somewhere around there but I'm not sure how we will be feeling and I'm not familiar with the area so im not sure if somewhere else would be better.

Friday - get up early and drive from wherever to Rawnsley Park Station or Wilpena Pound (unsure of where to stay??) hopefully do a bigish walk then head back to where we are staying (walk is undecided but happy for suggestions from either RPS or WP nothing toooooo crazy, would like something with good scenery, i enjoy a bit of landscape photography)

Saturday - go on a hot air balloon ride or scenic flight and then maybe go for another walk in the afternoon or relax

sunday - go on a 4wd tour or if we take the 4wd go 4wd driving. and then relax

Monday - ???????? then go home in the afternoon

I wanted to go for a ride on a camel but apparently you are not able to, they only offer several day tours

Blinman, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

your plan sounds good so far. A suggestion for Monday is to do the amazing Blinman Underground Mine Tour and check out the historic town (village) of Blinman, then drive through the beautiful Parachilna Gorge, check out the Prairie Hotel at Parachilna, then head south on the bitumen to home.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,921 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Hi,

Sounds like a plan!

http://www.wilpenapound.com.au/

If you want to ride a camel we even have tours here in Port Macquarie on Lighthouse Beach surely they have shorter rides? How about this one?

australianexplorer.com/tourist_attractions/f…

Cheers,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

OZRCFLYER - thanks for the BRILLIANT link!! I couldnt find anywhere to ride a bloody camel :)

SallyH - thanks for the suggestions Ill check them out :)

Not sure about the ballooning now as its $370 per person... but as we might be camping maybe i can convince the hubby to take me!

We are now thinking about going from adelaide to port pirie then onto Wilpena pound.

I REALLLLY want to go to where this photo was taken - southaustralia.com/regions/flinders-ranges-o… (the background photo). I have contacted SA.gov but they havent been able to tell me where it is.. anyone have any idea?

Cheers

Blinman, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

It looks like a wall of Wilpena Pound or maybe the Elder Range just south of the Pound. Great photo. The hot air balloon ride goes down the valley between Wilpena and Elder Range. Magic! A scenic flight over the Pound is also magic, and quicker and cheaper and not so early in the morning! Pichi Richi Camel tours at Quorn might be worth checking out but I am not sure if they are still doing camel rides. There will be camel rides in Blinman soon. Check out www.flindersandbeyondcamels.com.au

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Thanks Sally.

Its really beautiful!! I wish i knew the exact spot wold love to go there and take some photos... im sure we will see enough amazing sights - looked at scenic flights as well - all fairly expensive for whatthey are but i guess its a luxury thing..

Thanks for the link it seems they are based in Arkaroola.. which is a fair way away.. we are looking to mainly stay in the Wilpena pound area..

so far I am thinking -

Thursday - adelaide to POrt Pirie

Friday - drive to Wilpena pound stop at Quorn for 30 min camel ride

australianexplorer.com/experiences/EX2027/pr…

leave PP at 8:00am get to Quorn 9am - camel ride, leave at 10am arrive at 11am at Wilpean pound..

Blinman, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

they used to be based in Arkaroola.. but are soon to be based at Blinman...they need to update their website!

"leave PP at 8:00am get to Quorn 9am" It will take you at least 90 mins to drive PP to Q

" leave Quorn at 10am arrive at 11am at Wilpean pound" That is a pretty tight time frame too...I'd allow at least 75 mins

sounds like you are going to have a great trip!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
1,572 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Hi,

Have a read through my Trip report for a few more suggestions & itinerary to use -

We drove from Clare to Rawnsley Station & stayed there for 3 nights before heading back to Adelaide via Port Augusta. You could consider doing the same & just having 2 nights at Rawnsley station. I prefer RS to WP for accommodation but it does depend on your budget ?

tripadvisor.com/…40076792

Happy planning !

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Hey Ellemay,

I havent had much time to "scratch my butt" these days, and havent been on TA much to read stuff - Ill get to reading your JBR soon :)

We looked at the option of driving through clare but we own a property near Eudunda so we are often in that area.

I noticed that you stayed at the eco-villas which I would love but cant justify spending almost $400 on a room that I wont be spending too much time in. Have emailed (twice) Rawnsley station and received no reply and i think they are mostly booked up for the weekend we are going up.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Mayeb we can drive back through Clare.. as we will be driving to FR/PP at night we arent going to be seeing much

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
1,572 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flinders ranges plan (ideas..??)

Have you checked on wotif to see availability ? mmm they do look heavily booked !

wotif.com/hotels/rawnsley-park-station.html

Happy planning !

Get answers to your questions about Flinders Ranges...
More Flinders Ranges National Park Topics