We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilpena and Arkaroola

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Wilpena and Arkaroola

Hi there,

Thinking of travelling to Flinders Ranges for a few days in late April. Haven't been there before so I'm trying to work out an itinerary. The two standout places so far I've researched are Wilpena Pound and Arkaroola. Question is how far is one from the other and how long would you recommend at both? I know that's a vague question... other than bush walking what would people recommend?

Cheers in advance!

14 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilpena and Arkaroola

it will take you about 4 hours to drive between the 2. You can go to Arkaroola from Blinman by the "back" road which is all dirt- or you can go via Leigh Creek and Copley- which is bitumen to Copley then dirt.

I would spend 2-3 days in each location. Its a while since Ive been on either road - so cant give you road conditionns - but this website will tell you. http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads I wouldnt tackle the back road without 4wd.

Apart from walking and 4wd touring you should do the Sillers Lookout 4wd tour offered at Arkaroola and an aerial flight over wilpena pound

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilpena and Arkaroola

Thanks Nozzie - really helpful! Any recommended rental firms in Adelaide for 4WDs?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilpena and Arkaroola

Hmm - no. We have our own. A lot of them wont let you take their vehicles off road- weird huh!! - so you'll need to do a bit of research there Im afraid.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,136 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilpena and Arkaroola

Hi,

We did this trip last year & hired a 4WD through Thrifty. You may enjoy reading my trip report > for some ideas regarding itinerary etc...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k5323…

happy planning !

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,071 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilpena and Arkaroola

Arkaroola is great. Very rustic . Good restaurant and bar. Lots of well mapped walks to do. 4wd tours are run on the property and the observatory is fascinating,

At least two nights is worth it. We spent three here.

We also did the back road and it was very corrugated and takes a fair bit longer. It was so rough our radio aerials rattled off its mounting..!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilpena and Arkaroola

Thanks for this post ;) we are going in may!

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wilpena and Arkaroola

I've just come back from this 8 nights trip using a 2WD car. This is how I planned my itinerary and I managed to see alot on the way. From Adelaide I drove along B82 highway and visited Mt Remarkable alligator gorge. I stayed the night at the camping ground (no shower facility) or you can stay in Wilmington. Next day I did a self drive tour along the Moralana scenic drive road, and through Brachina and Buneyroo Gorge (4 hours) before reaching Wilpena Pound resort late afternoon. Camped 2 nights there. The full day was spent on 2 hikes to Wangarra lookout and Mount Ohlssen Bagge. Following morning about 8am made my way to Arkaroola following the signs (202 km) on the back roads. I stopped over at Chambers gorge. The gorge was massive with towering vertical cliff faces. After a good few hours there exploring the gorge, and some Aboriginal rock engravings I had a long lunch break. Departed Chamber gorge 2.30pm and arrived in Arkaroola after 4pm. I camped 3 nights. There's plenty to see there, with walks and half day tours (ridgetop 4WD tour is a standout) to choose from. I drove back the long way to Wilpena via Leigh Creek, Parachilna and Blinman. I stopped over at Angorachina village and had a short walk along the creek to the Blinman pools. The 1st pool is only 20 mins walk away where I had a wonderful dip in the cool refreshing waters. Much warmer than the chilly swimming pool at ArkarooIa. I stayed 2 more nights in Wilpena Pound resort, with a full day spent hiking to St. Mary peak (5-6 hours) and a trip to Sacred canyon (1 to 2 hours)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wilpena and Arkaroola

Sounds like a great trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wilpena and Arkaroola

Hi... Just wondering on some of your times here as we are about to embark on a similar trip. You mention the dirt road to Arkaroola is quicker than via Leigh creek and Copley... Is that right... Others say it is longer... Perhaps it depends on road condition but I notice you travelled with a 2wd. Google maps tells me that via the sealed road it is 7 hours... That's quite a hike, and if so would look to find a place to stop for the night.

Also all the research I have done about walking to Blinman polls says that the first pool is a 2-3 hours walk, 6 km round trip. You say 20 mins... It certainly looks pretty flat and easy on a map. We will have our kids with us so wouldn't want to attempt a 6 hour without planning for it.

Any other stand out walks you did in the area... Under 1/2 day?( Say 3-4 hour max)

Thanks in advance

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wilpena and Arkaroola

Hi... Just wondering on some of your times here as we are about to embark on a similar trip. You mention the dirt road to Arkaroola is quicker than via Leigh creek and Copley... Is that right... Others say it is longer... Perhaps it depends on road condition but I notice you travelled with a 2wd. Google maps tells me that via the sealed road it is 7 hours... That's quite a hike, and if so would look to find a place to stop for the night.

Also all the research I have done about walking to Blinman polls says that the first pool is a 2-3 hours walk, 6 km round trip. You say 20 mins... It certainly looks pretty flat and easy on a map. We will have our kids with us so wouldn't want to attempt a 6 hour without planning for it.

Any other stand out walks you did in the area... Under 1/2 day?( Say 3-4 hour max)

Thanks in advance

Reply to: Wilpena and Arkaroola
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Flinders Ranges...
More Flinders Ranges National Park Topics