We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

caravan in flinders ranges?

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
caravan in flinders ranges?

Is this a good idea? My hero and I would like to take our caravan acros the flinders ranges from Syd to Adelaide?

Are there caravan parks? Would we be able to see/visit enough sights sticking to the sealed roads?

any suggestions appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,605 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: caravan in flinders ranges?

Yes there are caravan parks at Quorn, Hawker, Wilpena Pound, Rawnsley Park, Leigh Creek, Copley and Arkaroola (and a few others) - but no you wont see much by just sticking to sealed roads- though the caravan parks (except Arkaroola are accessible from sealed roads) .

Edited: 5:37 am, March 16, 2012
australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: caravan in flinders ranges?

Thanks nozzie,

Time is pretty much on our side (grey nomads), so how long should we set aside for staying in the ranges? 2 days....5 days....8 days? Because of the 'off road' quotient I'm not sure how long it takes to cover the kilometres between areas.

Thank you,

Gaye

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,605 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: caravan in flinders ranges?

I would allow a minmum of 5 days - but eight would be better. Distances are huge and there is a lot to see.

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: caravan in flinders ranges?

OK, 5 days it is! :)

thank you.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: caravan in flinders ranges?

The Quorn Caravan park seems to be a favourite with many travelling through that area... or you can stay within Wilpena Pound itself or Rawnsley Park if you want to be right in amongst the landscape.

If staying at Quorn or just looking for things to do , I suggest a day trip with Aaron at Flinders Outback cruises.. http://www.flindersoutbackdaytours.com.au/

They are based at Port Augusta so, if you intend to provision up there (large supermarkets and better prices than inland) that might be a nice afternoon excursion for you.

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: caravan in flinders ranges?

Thanks TW. Will check it out.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: caravan in flinders ranges?

Ozziewanderer I'm going to the Flinder's in 2 weeks so looking forward to exploring the scenery...

If you want - let me know what to look out for ...

Edited: 9:44 am, March 21, 2012
australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: caravan in flinders ranges?

Thanks Ellemay,

I hope your trip is fun. Not really sure what to ' look out for'. Isnt it disgraceful that I know so little of this area! My hero and I have lived in NT, MELB, and SYD, but havent really done much more than the Barossa and Adelaide in SA.

Our main concern was taking the caravan and accessability. Like you we are interested in the scenery and just taking the quieter option.

We are off in May, so keep us posted on things not to miss. :)

Thank you,

Gaye

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,605 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: caravan in flinders ranges?

Hi Gaye

I have visited and camped, driven and walked in the Flinders Ranges almost every year of the last 45 years and 5 or 6 times each year since 2009. Have also stayed in a wide variety of caravan parks and B&Bs, motels etc.

So I can certainly give you ideas about what to see etc. All you need to do is ask!

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: caravan in flinders ranges?

Thanks Nozzie,

I will certainly be asking you some questions.

We are at the planning stage now and trying to figure out the 'there and back' journey. We are pretty new to the caravanning adventure and the one thing we are finding is that we need to travel long distances through places we have already discovered, just to start our new adventures! :)

Not sure whether to go via Broken Hill which we love, or through Wagga - Griffith area. I would like to at some point visit Mt Gambier but not sure if this is the trip to do it.

We are looking at the Flinders Ranges as a sort of circle. Are there one or two spots you would think it best to base the van while we go off adventuring?

Or do we follow the circle around, stopping every day or so?

Any hints? Also, do you have special places that we simply shouldnt miss?

Get answers to your questions about Flinders Ranges...
More Flinders Ranges National Park Topics