We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flinders ranges Itinerary

Torquay, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Flinders ranges Itinerary

Can anyone help me with some advice on this itinerary.

We will be arriving at Rawnsley Park Station April 2.

3 nights at Rawnsley park

3 nights at Alpana Station (or somewhere else in that area) or is 2 nights enough?

Drive the Blinman road up to Arkaroola

3 nights at Arkaroola

Drive from Arkaroola to Leigh Creek and down that road. We have an overnight stay between Arkaroola and Barossa Valley to fill in if anyone can recommend somewhere between Leigh Creek and Hawker? WE will have seen alot around PArachilna so don't need to stop there.

Should we just stop at Hawker?

Thanks for any advice.

2 adults. 8 year old boy and 3 year old girl. Jayco Swan OB and Prado set to go.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flinders ranges Itinerary

I would stop at Hawker.

Its quite an interesting town. Re the road to Arkaroola is your caravan suitable for off road?. It's quite a rough track.

Torquay, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flinders ranges Itinerary

Thanks Nozzie.

Yes we have an outback swan being towed but fully kitted 2011 prado. I am a bit worried about that road. Is it rough as in corrugated or just lots of bends etc?

Thanks so much for your reply

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flinders ranges Itinerary

No its very rough - lots of creek crossings and some bull dust and the road up the hill to Arkaroola resort is quite steep and can be very rough.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,965 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flinders ranges Itinerary

Our fitted uhf aerial rattled off on that road twice. It was not well graded as Noz says lots of bulldust.

Torquay, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flinders ranges Itinerary

Thanks everyoone for your advice.

We are ready to go next week. We have decided on 5 nights at R/P Station and 4 nights in Arkaroola with a night somewhere between Arkaroola and Adelaide which we will work out on the day as we travel there.

Can you give me some advice about fresh veg fruit and meat?

We will stock up in Burra before hitting R/P but will need to stock up again before Arkaroola. Should we head to Hawker to do that?

Thanks so much :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flinders ranges Itinerary

Yes you will need to go back to Hawker. Leigh Creek may have some things but I don't think you could depend on it.

You can get fabulous burgers at Hawker too.

Torquay, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flinders ranges Itinerary

Thanks so much Nozzie you are a wealth of knowledge for us Flinders Ranges virgins........

How many nights would you recommend in Arkaroola? My husband would love to do some 4WD ing and we want to check out the observatories and any other amazing places. I have two kids 8 and 3 so big long hilly walks are out of the question but we do have our bikes.

Also one last question. We are heading to Barossa Valley from Arkaroola? Do you know how long that drive generally is from Arkaroola down to Hawker if conditions are good?

Thanks so so so so much

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flinders ranges Itinerary

For Arkaroola I think at least 3 nights.

It will take around 3 hours to get back to Hawker depending on road conditions.

9. Re: Flinders ranges Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, April 23, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Flinders Ranges...
More Flinders Ranges National Park Topics