We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barrier Reef Tour, Resturants & Wildlife

Which Magnetic Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Barrier Reef Tour, Resturants & Wildlife

Trust all is well. We arrive on the island on Wednesday. Spending almost a week. Staying in a small cottage in Nelly Bay:

1) Is there a boat tour that will take you out to the great barrier reef to see with glass bottom? We are not divers.

2) What restaurants do you recommend for lunch and dinner?

3) We are both wildlife professionals. Plan on hiking Fort's for wildlife. Any other special place to see wildlife?

4) Should we get groceries in Townsville or support the local island store? If we support local, which one do you suggest?

Thanks

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barrier Reef Tour, Resturants & Wildlife

Sealink occasionally do trips out to the reef, check their website for dates but there is no company doing regular daytrips from MI or Townsville.

My favourit restaurant as a local is Man Friday mainly mexican but do a great steak also fish.dinner only for lunch in Nelly Bay Peppers Blue on Blue is my favourit. Other than these 2 places there are more but these 2 I can happily recommend.

When you get to the ferry terminal in Townsville you can pick up a small booklet that lists all the places, just be aware that is not always up to date, places open and close between publications.

Regarding groceries, depends how much cooking you intend to do naturally in town with either Coles or Woolworths the food is cheaper, but on the island I prefer Foodworks their prices are reasonable, I did do a posting a couple of months ago to help visitors you can contact them via internet or phone prior to arriving and they will have groceries etc delivered to wherever you are staying so that they are there on your arrival.

The owners of Man Friday are wildlife carers (they look after the injured and sick possums) and you will see them at their place.

Hope this is of a little help to you

t

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barrier Reef Tour, Resturants & Wildlife

Hi,

TA review's may also assist you.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g499655-Magnetic…

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barrier Reef Tour, Resturants & Wildlife

MarleneRay,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Comprehensive reply with lots of great information. It is appreciated!

4. Re: Barrier Reef Tour, Resturants & Wildlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 24, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Magnetic Island