We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

magnetic experts or locals needed! in a perdicament

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
magnetic experts or locals needed! in a perdicament

Hi,

would anyone know just how busy magnetic is the last week or 10 days ofJuly, were are really unsure if we need to book accomodation now, or if we could chance waiting untl nearer the time we arrive, the pound is so bad against the dollar at the minute we are hoping it may improve soon and also there as chance if you wait places will offer last minute deals, however if its real busy at that time of year I dont want to chance not getting anywhere decent, whatcha all think IS it so busy we wont be left with anything good, there does seem to be lot of accomodation available. any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Shaz

Magnetic Island...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: magnetic experts or locals needed! in a perdicament

Hi Shaz,

Because you are looking at coming in the high season (01/06/2010 - 11/10/2010) I would recommend you make a booking now, put a deposit down and pay the balance when you arrive. If you plan to go self catering have a look at http://www.visitmagneticisland.com.au/ or http://www.sailsonhorseshoe.com.au/

By the way, July is a really good time to visit the island.

Regards

Asasaki

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: magnetic experts or locals needed! in a perdicament

Hi,

I would book now and if your $$$ goes up you can always cancel your booking and re book another place. You just have to make sure to READ all the fine print as some places do charge a fee for cancellations. Most hotels have a 48hr cancellation standard.rate.

wotif.com/hotels/australia-qld-magnetic-isla…

The rates of hotels will only get more expensive the longer you wait as its their high season.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: magnetic experts or locals needed! in a perdicament

The pound has appreciated by more than 5% in the last week vs AU$ - Last week one pound bought $1.65 - today it buys $1.75, so essentially a 5%+ saving for you by booking now and locking it in.

Edited: 8:46 pm, May 25, 2010
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: magnetic experts or locals needed! in a perdicament

Wahhhh!

I'm heading the other way! :(

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: magnetic experts or locals needed! in a perdicament

thanks for your advice, I think we will book this weekend, the couple of places we are looking at only take $100 deposit so we can keep an eye on exchange and pay full amount when it looks better,

Margo dont worry your still getting a far better deal coming this way than we are!! lol

6. Re: magnetic experts or locals needed! in a perdicament

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Magnetic Island