We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cars on Magnetic Island

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
470 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cars on Magnetic Island

I'm planning a road trip from Cairns to Brisbane in October which includes a 2 night stay on Magnetic Island.

Would you recommend taking the car over to Magnetic Island or leave it at the ferry terminal? Also, do car hire companies allow the car to be taken over?

Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
Magnetic Island...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cars on Magnetic Island

Hi Cindy14,

There are buses and a taxi service on Magnetic Island so if you wanted to leave the car on the mainland you would still be able to get around. All the main places are accessible by bus, but I should say that some of the more out of the way bays are not so you would need your own transport or be prepared for a bit of a walk.

You can also hire mokes, bikes and scooters on the island, but if you have already paid for a hire car you may not want to pay again for this I guess....

To help you weigh it up - if you bring your car over, it costs $149 per vehicle return on the barge. The passenger ferry costs $26 return per person.

Check out www.magnetic-island.com.au for some phone numbers etc which might help.

I don't see why car hire companies wouldn't let you bring the car over - just don't go off the beaten track too much in it I suppose. Maybe best to check!

There are some signposts anyway to warn where hire vehicles shouldn't go!

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cars on Magnetic Island

When I go to Maggie, I tend to hire a car from topless car rentals for under A$80 a day (I always travel on my own)... they are quite reasonable, and there is no way that I would catch a bus around the island (that is me personally, I'm not into hanging around bus stops and waiting)

If you have already hired a car and you have a few others with you then I would take the hire car on the barge..

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cars on Magnetic Island

You need a car as Magnetic Island is quite extensive. You should be able to take it over and it's only a short distance to the island. Stick to the sealed roads as hire companies usually limit you to these.

Mentioned in this post
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cars on Magnetic Island

Don't assume you can take a hire car from Townsville over to Magnetic Island. We made this assumption and were advised this is not the case (Hertz & Avis). It is very easy to hire a vehicle once you get off the ferry on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Townsville
Townsville
Queensland, Australia
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cars on Magnetic Island

I phoned around the major car rental cos. in Townsville and Europcar confirmed they had no policy clauses that restricted taking the car on the ferry to Magnetic Island...the others (Hertz, Avis, etc.) did.

I know it is quite a $$ outlay for a rental car but I'm not keen on catching buses everywhere either. My Mum is 78 yr old and we are visiting relations (2 adults/1 child) on the island who don't drive so I kinda feel the sheer convenience the rental affords to to cart 5 people around with beach paraphenalia, cool boxes, etc. outweights the cost.

We arrive on Sunday for 2 weeks....so excited and can't wait!!

Mentioned in this post
Townsville
Townsville
Queensland, Australia
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cars on Magnetic Island

Rockyroo that is interesting information as most of the other posts on this topic (recently there a been a few) indicate that they are not allowed on the ferrys to the island. It is good to know of one company that doesn't necessarily exclude it. If I was you I would get it in writing just to be on the safe side if anything happened.

Be aware there are a lot of dirt roads that are fun to explore and the car will not be covered travelling on these.

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cars on Magnetic Island

Very good point, Kameka. My original phone call was way back in March.

So, I emailed Europcar Information Service last night and they were very prompt with their reply. In a nutshell, they confirmed in writing that the renter is responsible for the cost of repairing any water damage caused by immersion of the vehicle in water, inclusing whilst the vehicle is being transported. So, seems like Europcar allows you to take it on the ferry and you are allowed to drive on the sealed roads on Magnetic Island. If the ferry sinks, bad luck you are liable for the cost of repairing the rental car! I think I'll take the chance.

For those of you specifically interested in exactly my communication and Europcar's response..here it is in full, minus all the text from Clause 3 and Clause 8 I referred to in the original email in the interests of saving some space:

Hi,

Yes the following states as per terms and conditions:

8.3 You must always pay, and clause 8.2 does not cover:

a. the cost of repairing any water damage caused by immersion of the Vehicle in water, including whilst the Vehicle is being transported.

This relates to a vehicle being transported via ferry.

Kind Regards

Europcar Information Service

www.europcar.com.au

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sun 13/09/2009 7:59 AM

To: info

Subject: Europcar rental car to Magnetic Island?

Hello

Please would you confirm that it is acceptable under your terms and conditions for me to take a Europcar rental car (full-size sedan collected at Townsville airport) onto the Fantasea car ferry and then

drive it on the sealed roads on Magnetic Island.

I have read the T&Cs thoroughly

(europcar.com.au/renter-guide/…where), paying particular attention to Clause 3 "WHERE YOU CAN AND CANNOT

DRIVE THE VEHICLE", and there seems to be no indication that this is forbidden.

In Clause 8.3 reference is made to the fact that the

cost of repairing any water damage caused by immersion of the Vehicle in water, including whilst the Vehicle is being transported is not covered

by the Loss Damage Waiver...which I fully understand.

Mentioned in this post
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
Townsville Airport
Townsville Airport
Garbutt, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cars on Magnetic Island

Rockyroo- I think you should be safe with that from them. In racking my memory I can't remember the car ferry ever having a major problem, let alone sinking before- never. Many, many years ago I seem to recall one of the passenger ferries catching fire but even this was soon put out and it didn't sink.

Thanks for that extra info- I will post links back to your posting if other people ask a similar question in future.

Have a great time- I have many fond memories of Magnetic Island.

Mentioned in this post
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
London
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cars on Magnetic Island

True there is very little risk of the ferry sinking. The big issue is if the car breaks down and cannot be repaired on the island it may need to be sent to the mainland on a tow truck which could cost approx. $800 - $1,000 and is not covered by the rental company. If you have an Avis car it can be dropped off close to the ferry in Townsville. C:Drive Car Rentals on the island has modern vehicles for competitive prices and no issues re breakdowns. Much better option !

Mentioned in this post
Townsville
Townsville
Queensland, Australia
10. Re: Cars on Magnetic Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 14, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Magnetic Island