We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area of island

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Which area of island

We are arriving in Feb and would like to relax during day and have a few beers in the evening. Which area would be best?

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area of island

Horsshoe Bay... Bungalow Bay is a nice place to stay at, they have a koala park and a licensed bar... there is also a few nice places to eat at up that end..

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area of island

We were there in 2005 and loved it, but in Nelly Bay area nightlife was virtually non existant (that suited us fine) Even restaurants thought 7.30 was a late booking! It may be livelier in February than when we went in May but I didn't get the inmpression it would ever be a party island. I think there has been some new developement since we were there so maybe more options.

The only frustration we had was hiking for a couple of hours to fantastic deserted beaches but not daring to swim in case of stingers.

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area of island

I stayed at Nelly Bay in 2006. This area was undergoing a lot of new development , was very up market and close to where the ferry comes in.

I liked Nelly Bay because it was peaceful and where we stayed was a good 10 minute walk from the developments. We did a day trip from Horseshoe Bay (Jazz Boat trip) snorkling, boomnetting and a music session as we sailed back into horseshoe bay.A fantastic day which I recommend to anyone going to Magnetic island.

Horseshoe Bay is very pretty and you can get accommodation in the main busines area and stroll down to the pub and restaurants. It is very busy during the weekends a lot of boaties come over from the mainland.

If I returned to Magnetic I would probably choose horseshoe bay I liked the atmosphere there.

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area of island

A PS to my first post

If I was going there in Feburary I would want to be as close as possible to a pub, it will be hot, hot hot.

I went in winter.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,201 posts
1,445 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area of island

Horseshoe Bay.........

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area of island

My favourite area on Magnetic Island....Alma Bay

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
580 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area of island

Horseshoe Bay - a little bit of heaven on earth!

8. Re: Which area of island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:24 am, September 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Magnetic Island